As a Windows 11/10 user, you might come across the error message, Error 1061, The service cannot accept control messages at this time while starting or trying to run IIS, C#, or any other program. This happens because the Application Information Service does not respond to the requests to raise applications to Administrator in Windows 11 and Windows 10, such as Service updates, Task Manager, and others. Hence, you will not be able to open and run apps and get stuck with this error message.
This is a type of Network error that usually occurs when there is a temporary mismatch between the requested control and the state of the service to be controlled. The service may be in a state of start-pending, stop-pending, stopped or already used by another user which causes this error message.
While this error may occur during any Windows operation, some of the most common occurrences to have troubled the users include,
- Debugging a Windows service
- Starting Task Manager
- Starting Registry Editor
- Starting Firewall
- Starting services.msc
- Starting dsm.exe
- Updating services
- Asking for file permissions and many more
The service cannot accept control messages at this time
Microsoft MSDN explains it as follows:
There is a temporary mismatch between the requested control and the state of the service to be controlled. The service may be in a state of start-pending, stop-pending, or stopped. Wait a few minutes, then retry your operation.
If that does not help, please see if any of these suggestions help you:
1] Restart the Credential Manager Service
- Click on the “Start”.
- In the search box type “Services”.
- Right click on “Services” and select “Run as Administrator”.
- In the Services window, locate Credential Manager Service and double-click on it to open its Properties box. Here “Stop” it.
- Next, set it to “Automatic” and then click on the Start button to restart the service.
See if this helps.
2] Start the Application Information Service
Open Windows Services Manager and ensure that Application Information Service is Started. If it is already started, then restart it.
3] Kill the IIS Worker Process through Task Manager
- Use Ctrl + Alt + Del key combination and select Task Manager
- Click on More details in order to expand the Task Manager and search for the IIS Worker Process entry displayed on the list in the Processes tab of Task Manager. As shown below, it is located under the Background processes. Also, try locating and ending the w3wp.exe entries. If you see multiple entries, right-click on some of them and choose the End task option from the context menu which appears.
- Restart the computer and your issue should be resolved.
How do I fix The service cannot accept control messages at this time?
To fix The service cannot accept control messages at this time issue on Windows 11 or Windows 10 computer, you need to restart the Credential Manager service from the Services panel. Apart from that, you need to run or start the Application Information service as well. If these two solutions do not work, you can terminate the IIS Worker Process using the Task Manager.
Could not stop service error 1061?
If you get Error 1061: The service cannot accept control messages at this time error on your Windows 11/10 PC, you need to do the things mentioned above. For instance, you can restart the Credential Manager service. If that doesn’t help, you need to start the Application Information service. You can find both in the Services panel that you can open using the Taskbar search box.
Hope something here helped you.