Skype is Microsoft’s in-house communication tool, which is used for voice calls, video calls, messaging, sharing screen, and at many other places. While it is still in Enterprise where Microsoft products have a significant presence, it is not popular among consumers. If you do not use Skype App at all, then in this post, we will learn how to uninstall the Skype App. We can do it via the Start Menu, Settings, using a PowerShell command or a free app uninstaller to remove apps.
How to uninstall Skype App in Windows 10
You can remove or uninstall the Skype App using these methods:
- Uninstall from the Start Menu
- Uninstall via Settings
- Use a PowerShell command
- Uninstall from Control Panel
- Use a third-party freeware.
Skype comes in two versions. One that comes from the Microsoft Store, and the second, EXE, which one can install by downloading it from the official website.
1] Uninstall Skype App from the Start Menu
The simplest way to uninstall apps is with a right-click. There two ways, one which is new with recent feature update of Windows.
- Click on the Start button, and type Skype
- When the Skype App appears in the list, right-click on it
- Click on the Uninstall option.
There is another uninstall option on the right side of the listing which also reveals some quick action for the app.
2] Uninstall Skype and Calendar app via Settings
The first method works fine, but you can also uninstall via the Settings
- Click on Start Menu > Settings > System > Apps and Features.
- Wait till the app list is populated.
- Click on the Skype App.
- It will reveal the menu to Move and Uninstall.
- Click on the Uninstall button to remove the Skype app from Windows.
3] Use a PowerShell command to remove the Skype app
If you are a power user, this method works like a charm.
Open PowerShell with Admin privileges, and execute the Remove App package command for the Skype App:
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.SkypeApp | Remove-AppxPackage
Once the execution is complete, the Skype App will be uninstalled.
4] Uninstall from Control Panel
Skype can also be installed by directly downloading from the official webpage. It is the EXE version fo Skype, which is different from the Store version. If you have installed this version, you need to use the Add/Remove program to uninstall Skype from Windows 10.
- In the Run Prompt, type appwiz.cpl and click OK.
- Find Skype in the list, right-click it, and select Remove or Uninstall.
- Follow the Wizard to remove Skype from Windows entirely.
5] Use a third-party freeware
So as you can see, it is easy to uninstall the Skype App using any of the methods. Use PowerShell with precaution, and use the specific command. The settings menu is useful when you need to uninstall multiple apps, else the right click on the Start menu method works great.
TIP: This post will show you how to completely uninstall Skype for Business.
If you wish to reinstall apps, you may do so via the Microsoft Store – or use these PowerShell commands to reinstall pre-installed apps.