In this post, we will show you how to use Microsoft Edge Free VPN Secure Network Service. Microsoft Edge browser will soon roll out an integrated VPN service called the Microsoft Edge Secure Network. It would be a built-in browser VPN service, very similar to commercial VPN services, and would be powered by Cloudflare
How to Turn on Microsoft Edge Secure Network
To use Microsoft Edge Free VPN Secure Network Service, follow these steps:
- Sign in to your Microsoft account
- Launch Edge browser
- Select Settings and more
- Turn on Microsoft Edge Secure Network
- The feature will turn off automatically when you close Microsoft Edge.
Microsoft Edge Secure Network features
This service will offer the following features:
- It is free to use: You get 1 GB of free data every month when you sign into Microsoft Edge with your Microsoft Account.
- Encrypts your connection: It will encrypt your internet connection to help protect your data from online threats like hackers.
- Helps prevent online tracking: Edge will then help prevent your internet service provider from collecting your browsing data like details about which websites you visit.
- Keeps your location private: The feature will let you browse with a virtual IP address that masks your IP and replaces your geolocation.
Commercial VPN services although safe and useful, come at a price and sometimes with additional downloads. When using Microsoft Edge Secure network, your data will be routed from the browser through an encrypted tunnel to create a secure connection, even when using a non-secure URL that starts with HTTP. This arrangement will make it harder for hackers to get any access to your browsing data on a shared public Wi-Fi network.
I repeat, this feature is under preview and will be rolled out to all soon.
What is a VPN?
A VPN, or Virtual Private Network, allows you to create a secure connection to another network over the Internet. VPNs can be used to access region-restricted websites, shield your browsing activity from prying eyes on public Wi-Fi, and more. In very simple terms, a VPN connects your PC, smartphone, or tablet to another computer (called a server) somewhere on the internet, and allows you to browse the internet using that computer’s internet connection. So if that server is in a different country, it will appear as if you are coming from that country, and you can potentially access things that you couldn’t normally.
Why use a VPN for security and privacy
A VPN is used by people for several purposes. Some of these purposes are with good intentions, while others may be considered illegal by law. These include:
- Taking the remote connection of an organization’s private network
- When using public Wi-Fi, protecting the data
- Hiding BitTorrent piracy
- Hiding from government censorship or surveillance
- Accessing Netflix library from other countries.
Read next: Edge browser Tips and Tricks.