Most printers offer the double-sided printing option, which saves paper and effort to feed the paper one by one manually. However, it is not the default option available in the printer software and most of the applications you want to print. This post looks at various options using which you can print double-sided on Windows 11.
Before you go ahead, check if your printer supports duplex or automatic printing. If your printer doesn’t support double-sided printing, you will not be able to print it from any application.
Install the Printer Software on PC
Every Printer OEM offers software that offers advanced features for the printer. You cannot access them unless you have them installed. So the first thing you should do is go to the OEM website, look for your printer model, download the driver and software, and install them.
How to Print Double-Sided on Windows 11/10
To get this done, you will need first to set up double-sided print as the default profile, and then you can use it to print from any application. The steps involved are:
- Go to Windows Settings (Win + I)
- Open Bluetooth & devices
- OpenPrinters and Scanners
- Select your printer for advanced options
- Switch to Printer Settings, and click on Printing Preferences.
- In the Printer Software, locate the Print Profiles section, and check if you already have 2-sided print.
- Finally, look for the Multiple Page section where you should see 2-Side selected and do the needful.
Set up Printer Default Profile
Go to Settings (Win + I) > Bluetooth & devices > Printers and Scanners, and select your printer for advanced options. Next, switch to Printer Settings, and click on Printing Preferences. It will launch the printer software with basic, advanced print profiles, maintenance tools. Since every OEM designs the software in its way, you may find the options at different places, but they should be similar.
In the Printer Software, locate the Print Profiles section, and check if you already have 2-sided print. If not, you can create using the Add Profile option. Once configured, ensure this is set as the default profile.
Once the profile is selected, look for the Multiple Page section where you should see 2-Side selected. If the software allows you to customize, choose between Long Edge (Right/Left) and Short Edge(Top/Bottom), etc.
While all this can be configured when using different applications, but once configured here, it will appear as the default profile for all applications.
Printing Double-Sided from apps and software
Now that the profile is all set up let’s take a few examples of how you can quickly print double-sided.
Print PDF from Browser
- Open PDF File in Edge, and then click on the Print icon
- Ensure you have the same printer configured for which the profile was set up.
- Locate the section Print on both sides, which should be the default print option
- You can change between the long and short edge.
- Click on Print, and it should now print on both sides.
Print an Office Document
- Open any office document, and then use Ctrl + P to bring up the printer interface.
- Select the printer, and then look if Print on both sides is selected; if not, select it.
- You can further configure other options, including scaling, etc.
- Done that, click on Print, and it should print the document on both sides.
Remember, if there comes the point where you do not want to print double-sided, you can always change it from the printer interface.
Is duplex printing the same as double-sided?
Yes, they both are the same but can come with a slight difference. There is automatic duplex printing, and then there is manual. While the automatic printers can reverse the page automatically, in manual duplex printing, you will need to feed the paper again and place printer paper so that it prints on the clear side.
Which printer print both sides automatically?
You will need to confirm this with the OEM through support or look into the printer’s manual and check for mention of Automatic duplex printing. If it is there, then the printer can print both sides automatically.