Diablo 1 is still one of the most popular PC game titles, released in December 1996. Now the question is can you play Diablo 1 on a modern Windows 11/10 PC? How to get Diablo 1 to work on Windows 11/10? Dont worry! This post will guide you through everything in detail, so follow the post till the end and enjoy playing Diablo 1 on your Windows PC.
How to get Diablo 1 to work on Windows 11/10
This part will discuss installing Diablo 1 on Windows’s latest versions, so read it carefully and implement it accordingly.
- Run with Compatibility Mode.
- Install the Diablo retail version
Make sure to read through the details to understand the process clearly.
1] Run with Compatibility Mode
No doubt Diablo 1 is not optimized for Window’s latest version, but you can still play this game on the latest Windows version PCs. Let’s understand how to install this game on a modern PC.
- Click the right mouse button on the file diablo.exe and select properties.
- Go to the compatibility tab.
- You put the checkmark in the run program in compatibility mode for: and select Windows XP (Service Pack 3) from the list.
- You can also check “mode with reduced colors. Select 16-Bit colors (65536).
- Another checkmark in the “In-screen resolution of 640 × 480 running”.
- Activate the option to run this program as Administrator and confirm all the settings with the OK Button. Then start the game.
2] Install the Diablo retail version
If you want to install the Diablo retail version, you may need to run it as admin, depending on your setup. Its recommended to select a different partition in which Windows is not installed for the game installation due to restrictive permission. To run this game, your system may need Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package (x86) if you don’t already have it.
Here are the steps to install the Diablo retail version on the latest Windows PCs.
- First, you need to get the Licensed copy of Diablo 1. You can get a CD or emulated ISO and install the game in any preferred directory.
- After installing, you must open the disc’s main CD/ISO Directory and find DIABDAT.MPQ and copy it to the targeted installed Diablo Directory.
- Visit the official Belzebub website and check the Download section. Download the Diablo 1 HD Mod for a single player and install it in the Diablo 1 directory. For multiplayer, download Project Tchernobog and unpack the files into the installed Diablo 1 directory.
- Launch Belzebob.exe for the Singleplayer mode and Tchernobog.exe for the Multiplayer game.
Since this is the MOD version, ensure to go through every installation detail. You can read complete details on the Steam forums.
Try the methods and see which works better for you per your requirements. If you have any questions, feel free to ask us in the comment section we will try to answer those.
This section will discuss some issues you might face after installation or while playing the game and solutions.
The Multiplayer session is not joinable (Connection Timeout)
If the above steps do not resolve the issue, you can use a virtual private network (VPN) to establish a secure connection between your device and your network. Hamachi is a popular VPN app that can help you create a local network and assign a static IP address to your device. You can also use any other VPN that allows you to do that.
The Diablo 1 game goes full black screen after launch
To fix the black screen issue, ensure all Mod files are in place (In D1 Directory). Launching .exe files in the compatibility mode ( Windows XP, Windows 98 ) and with admin rights is advisable. You can also try disabling full-screen optimization for Diablo 1.
To do this, right-click on the Diablo 1 shortcut or executable, select Properties, go to the Compatibility tab, and then check the box that says Disable full-screen optimizations.
Tchernobog.exe/belzebub.exe doesn’t launch: Dll Library Glewinit error
It happens when you run both the mods together. It’s recommended to unpack only one mod at a time to play Diablo 1 game modes. If you want to play singleplayer, unpack the Beelzebub.exe and replace the files same for Multiplayer, and unpack the Tchernobag.exe and replace files accordingly.