If you see a 79 Service Error on an HP printer while printing a document on your Windows computer, here are some solutions you can go through to troubleshoot this problem. Although this particular problem appears on HP LaserJet Pro printers, you may get the same on others as well. Either way, you need to follow the same steps to get rid of it.
The entire error message says something like this:
79 Service Error
Turn Off then On
How to fix Service Error 79 on HP Printer
To fix Service Error 79 on HP Printer, follow these steps:
- Power off and on
- Verify connection
- Update system firmware
- Unplug surge protector
- Reinstall printer driver
- Contact customer support
Let’s check out these steps in detail.
1] Power off and on
It is probably the first thing you need to check before heading to the other steps mentioned below. As your printer is already showing this message, you must follow it before doing anything else. However, if a restart doesn’t resolve the issue, you can check other ways.
2] Verify connection
If you are using your printer wirelessly, it is better to verify if you have a valid connection or not. If the source device gets disconnected while printing, there is a chance of getting this error message on your printer. That is why you must check the connection between your printer and the source device.
3] Update system firmware
If you haven’t updated your printer’s firmware for a very long time, you might get this error while printing documents. The easiest way to get rid of this problem is by updating the firmware to the latest version. For that, do the following:
- Open the Settings menu on your printer.
- Scroll down to the bottom and select the Service option.
- Select the LaserJet Update option.
- Choose the Check for Updates Now option.
- Allow your printer to download and install the latest firmware.
These are the generic steps to update your printer’s firmware. Depending upon the model, these options might be placed at a different location. In case you get any problems, you can ask for a professional’s help.
4] Unplug surge protector
It is the official solution HP stated after acknowledging the issue. If you are using a surge protector to power up the printer, you need to unplug it. You need to plug into the wall port directly to provide the power supply.
5] Reinstall printer driver
If you have established a wired connection between your Windows computer and the HP printer, you might have already installed a driver. If so, it is recommended to do three things depending upon what you did earlier:
- If you have installed the driver already, check if there is any update. Manufacturers often send minor updates to patch a bug.
- If no update is available, uninstall the driver from your computer and reinstall it. You may use a third-party tool called Revo Uninstaller, CCleaner, etc.
- If you haven’t installed the driver before using the printer with your Windows computer, it is recommended to do that. You can find the driver on the CD provided with your printer. Otherwise, you can head to the official HP website, search for the printer, and download the driver, accordingly.
6] Contact customer support
If none of the aforementioned solutions is working, you can always contact customer support. If there is another internal issue in the firmware, you may not be able to fix it in your home. In such situations, you must contact customer support.
How do I fix the 79 Service Error on my HP Laserjet Pro 400?
The solutions of fixing the 79 Service Error on HP Laserjet Pro 400 or any other LaserJet printer are the same. You need to restart your printer, check the connection, and update the system firmware to the latest version.
How do I fix Error 79 on HP printer?
To fix Error 79 or 79 Service Error, you need to follow all the aforementioned steps one after one. However, many people claimed that the firmware update had fixed the problem for them.