Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) is a protocol that lets the devices on the same network communicate with each other. It allows apps on other devices to connect with yours like Xbox, etc. Printer in a shared network, and other common devices without wired connectivity work on UPnP protocol to communicate with each other. In this guide, we show how to enable UPnP on routers of different brands like NETGEAR, D-Link, ASUS, TP-Link, Linksys, etc.
How to enable UPnP on Router in Windows 11/10
If you want to enable UPnP on your router on NETGEAR, D-Link, ASUS, TP-Link, Linksys, etc., you can do it by following the below steps based on your router manufacturer.
Let’s get into the process of each router and enable UPnP.
Enable UPnP on NETGEAR router
To turn on UPnP on your NETGEAR router,
- Open a web browser on your computer, enter http://www.routerlogin.net in the address bar, and press Enter.
- Enter router user name and password. The default username for the NETGEAR router is admin and the default password is password.
- It takes you to the home page or router configuration. Click on the ADVANCED tab and select Advanced Setup.
- You will see many options there. Select UPnP at the bottom.
- Now, check the button beside Turn UPnP On to turn it on. Save the changes and restart your router to apply the changes.
- You can disable the UPnP whenever you want by following the same method.
This is how you can enable or disable UPnP on the NETGEAR router.
Enable UPnP on the D-Link router
To enable UPnP on your D-Link router,
- Open a web browser on your computer and enter 192.168.0.1 in the address bar and press Enter.
- Enter the username and password to log in. The default username is admin and the default password is blank. You just have to type admin in the username text field and press Enter.
- Click on the Settings tab or on the Tools tab based on your model.
- If you just have the Settings tab, you can just enable UPnP by toggling the button beside UPnP under Advanced Settings.
- If you clicked on the Tools tab, select Misc on the left.
- Check the button beside Enabled under the UPnP Settings section to enable it.
- Click Apply and Continue to save settings. Then, restart your browser to apply them. If you want to disable UPnP, you can follow the same method.
Enable UPnP on the ASUS router
To enable UPnP on your ASUS router,
- Log in to your router configuration page using 192.168.1.1 and use admin as both username and password.
- Then, on the router configuration page, click on WAN under Advanced Settings.
- Under the Basic Config, you will see Enable UPnP option. Check the button beside Yes to enable it.
- Then, click on Apply to save the changes and restart your router. You can disable UPnP on the Asus router in the same way.
Enable UPnP on the TP-Link router
To enable UPnP on your TP-link router,
- Open a web browser and enter http://tplinkwifi.net or http://192.168.0.1 in the address bar and press Enter.
- Use admin as both username and password to log in.
- Then, on the router configuration page, click on the Advanced tab.
- Select NAT forwarding from the list of options.
- Toggle the button beside UPnP to enable it. Restart your router to apply the changes.
You can disable the UPnP in the same way on the TP-link router anytime.
Read: ScanNow UPnP checks for vulnerabilities in Networks for Devices
Enable UPnP on Linksys router
To enable UPnP on Linksys router,
- Login to the router configuration page on a web browser using 192.168.1.1 and enter admin as the router password.
- Click on Connectivity under the Router Settings.
- Click on the Administration tab.
- Check the button beside UPnP to enable it. Generally, it is enabled by default on Linksys routers. You can uncheck the same button to disable it.
- Click Apply and then Ok to save the changes.
This is how you can enable or disable UPnP on different routers in their configuration settings.
Should I enable UPnP on my router?
If you have many devices on a network and they are perform interconnected like Printers, gaming consoles, etc. you need to enable it to use them without any errors. If you think you don’t have any such devices or usage, you can disable UPnP on your router safely.
How do you check if I have UPnP is enabled?
To check if the UPnP is enabled, you need to log in to your router’s configuration page. You will find it under Advanced settings. You will know if it is enabled or disabled by seeing the UPnP option in the router settings. If you don’t want it enabled, you can simply disable it there.
Related read: Fix UPnP not successful error on Xbox One.