Microsoft 365 has offered the flexibility to work from anywhere and from any platform. The collaboration of different devices and platforms has turned out to be a blessing during the recent pandemic. It helped users manage their work, edit it and also enter review remarks, even though they were geographically separated. Read further to know how this feature works with PowerPoint. Learn how to add comments in a PowerPoint from the Web. Not only that, but you can also reply to the comments added to your presentation on the Web.
Add comments in a PowerPoint from the Web
Adding comments in a PowerPoint presentation from the Web is pretty much similar to how we add comments on the PowerPoint desktop application. Apart from adding comments, you can also perform the following actions.
- Adding a comment to a slide, object, or text
- Tagging someone in a comment
- Showing or hiding comments in a PPT
- Viewing and replying to the comments
- Editing comments
- Deleting a comment
Let us look at all these action items in more detail.
1] Adding a comment to a slide, object, or text
To add comments in a PowerPoint from the Web, follow the next steps:
- First, select the slide, object, or text for which you want to add the comment.
- Now select Review and then click on New Comment.
- If the Comments pane is open (or you can open it by clicking on Show Comments), then you also select New to add a new comment.
- There is a third way of adding a new comment. Go to Insert. Now, click on Comment.
- You can also use the keyboard shortcut, Ctrl+Alt+M from your Windows PC.
- Now, in the Comments pane, type your message in the box and select Post.
2] Tagging someone in a comment
Just like the PowerPoint desktop app, you can tag someone in your comment by using the @-sign with someone’s name. This way, the person you mention receives an email with a link to your comment.
Read further to know how to tag someone in Microsoft 365 using @mention.
3] Showing or hiding comments in a PPT
The feature is nothing but opening the Comment pane or closing it. This way the comments are either visible or hidden to the other user.
To hide the comments, click on the View tab, and then click Normal.
To view the comments, go to the Review tab, and then click on Show Comments.
Even when the comments are hidden (which means the Comments pane is closed), you can opt to show the markup of the comments on slides.
- For this, go to the Review tab and then go to Show Comments
- From the drop-down menu of Show Comments, select Show Markup.
- This way, the markup of the comments is visible on the slides.
- The markup symbols can be moved anywhere on the slide.
- When you click on any of the markup symbols, you can see the respective comment.
4] Viewing and replying to the comments
Replying to the comments is the same as that of the PowerPoint desktop app. For this, follow the next steps:
- Select the comment from the Comments pane.
- Now, select Reply to respond to the comment.
- Click on Post.
5] Editing comments
Unlike the desktop app of Microsoft PowerPoint, anyone can edit any other user’s comments. Comments in an Office document are stored in the file, so anyone with edit access to your file can edit your comment.
To edit the comments, follow the next steps:
- In the navigation pane, in Normal view, click the slide you want to comment on.
- Now, go to the Comments pane, click the comment you want to edit
- Then, click the pencil icon to make changes.
6] Deleting a comment
To delete a comment or the comment thread, follow the next steps:
- In the Comments pane, select the comment you want to delete
- select More thread actions (…), and then select Delete thread.
Hopefully, this quick guide helps you to add comments or perform other actions related to the comments.
How can I enable comments in PowerPoint?
You can enable or see the comments in the margin or the Comments pane by clicking the Comments button towards the top right corner of the PowerPoint window. For your information, there is nothing to do in order to enable comments in PowerPoint Online. This feature is already enabled by default.
How do you add notes to PowerPoint browser?
To add a note or command in PowerPoint Online, you need to use the Comment option included in the Insert tab. The process to add a note using the Comments option is exactly the same as adding a note in the desktop version. You can select a part of the document and start adding notes immediately.