How do you tell if your Windows computer has a virus and infected? Seriously! You have an antivirus software installed, and you go about using the computer with the feeling that it is well-protected and hence malware-free. But maybe, just maybe, there could be malware or a Trojan or a key logger operating on your computer without your knowledge and compromising your security or damaging your data.
How do you tell if your computer has a virus
Is your Windows computer infected? Learn to recognize malware infections and signs, symptoms that will tell you if your Windows PC has a computer virus. In this post, we will see some of the symptoms of malware infection, that will tell you if your computer was compromised or infected with computer virus.
Symptoms of Malware Infection
The typical symptoms that your computer may have been compromised are:
- Change in your browsers home page or default search
- Your web browser hangs or becomes sluggish
- Your computer starts behaving sluggishly or hangs often
- You are unable to open security-related sites or Microsoft.com domains.
- You get re-directed to web pages you did not intend to visit
- Unexpected toolbars in your browser
- Security software or Firewall disabled
- Your security software throws up warnings, or its icon turns red or something.
- Pop-ups while browsing, unknown or excessive
- Balloon Notifications from your system tray
- Excessive CPU or Memory utilization
- Internet or data transfer activity – Modem appears to be working overtime
- You start seeing unexpected Windows error messages
- Some programs start automatically
- Some important Windows functions or features disabled. Eg, Task Manager, Registry Editor, Control Panel, Command Prompt, etc.
- New unknown, unwanted software installed, etc.
- You see new icons on your desktop suddenly.
If you see any of these signs if is quite possible that your computer may have become infected with a virus or malware.
Starting with Windows Vista, Microsoft introduced many security features in the operating system which were further improved upon in Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. Nevertheless, should your computer get infected with malware, there are ways to remove malware infections.
Read next: How do I know if my Computer has been Hacked.
- Tags: Tips