Google Docs is an online word processing program with a ton of features to make creating documents efficient and effortless. One of the features this program offers is the voice typing option, which helps many users type lengthy texts and can save a lot of time. Though for some users, the voice typing feature in Google Docs has not been working, and if that’s the reason you’re reading this, you’re not the only one. We’re going to talk about a few solutions that you can try to fix the issue.
Fix Google Docs Voice Typing not working
When you are faced with this issue, you should first restart your computer and try using the feature again. If it does persist, here are the most effective ways to resolve Google Docs voice typing not working on Windows PC:
- Switch to Google Chrome.
- Make sure Microphone permission is not disabled for Google Docs.
- Remove suspicious extensions .
- Check Microphone Volume.
- Ensure Microphone Access is Enabled.
- Clear Chrome Cache
- Run Windows Recording Audio Troubleshooter.
1] Switch to Google Chrome
Many users are unaware that Chrome is the only browser that supports Google Docs’ voice typing feature. Google has actually limited the feature to its Chrome browser for the time being. So, if you are accessing Google Docs with another browser and you notice that the voice typing feature isn’t functioning, switch to Chrome.
2] Make sure microphone permission is not disabled for Google Docs
By mistake, you could have tampered with your browser settings and disable microphone permission for Google Docs. To be sure of this, check Chrome settings and make sure microphone permission is enabled for Google Docs. Here is how to do it:
- Click the three-dot menu at the top-right corner of Google Chrome and hit Settings.
- Select Privacy & Security from the options on the left pane and tap Site Settings.
- Under the Permissions section, click on Microphone.
- Check if Google Docs is under sites Not allowed to use your Microphone. If it is, remove it.
- Also, make sure the Don’t allow site to use your microphone option is unchecked.
After this, try using the voice typing option and see if it works or not.
3] Remove suspicious extensions
Many extensions can be used with Chrome to expand its functionality. However, some extensions have the potential to cause issues on your browser and must be removed in order to resolve any problems they may be causing. Check your list of extensions and eliminate any dubious entries from it.
4] Check Microphone Volume
If the voice typing option doesn’t seem to record your voice, it may be because your microphone volume is slow. You can simply increase the volume here:
- Press Windows + I to open Windows Settings.
- Click on System and select Sound.
- Under the Input section, select your input device and click on Device properties.
- Then increase the volume option
5] Ensure Microphone Access is Enabled
Another thing you can do is to check if microphone access is enabled in Windows settings because without this, any voice input won’t work on your computer.
- Open Windows Settings.
- Click on Privacy & security from the left pane.
- Select Microphone and toggle on the Let apps access your microphone option.
- Go to Settings and click on Privacy.
- Select Microphone and toggle on the microphone access.
6] Clear Chrome Cache
Long accumulated Chrome cache might be affecting the functionality of your browser. So it’ll be recommended for you to clear the Chrome cache.
- Hit the three-dot icon at the top-right corner of Chrome.
- Click on More tools and select Clear browsing data.
- Set the Time range as All time.
- Check Browsing history, Cookies and other site data, and Cached images and files.
- Then select Clear data.
Restart your computer after doing this and check if the issue has been resolved or not.
7] Run Windows Recording Audio Troubleshooter
If all the solutions above couldn’t fix the Google Docs Voice Typing Not Working issue, you can try running Windows Recording Audio Troubleshooter. This approach will help check for issues with your PC microphone and help fix them. Here is how to do that:
- Press Windows + I to open Settings on your computer.
- Click on System and hit Troubleshoot option.
- Select Other troubleshooters.
- Navigate to Recording Audio and tap Run next to it.
Be sure to check that there is no hardware issue with your computer.
Read: No Audio on computer; Sound is missing or not working
How do I turn on voice typing in Google Docs?
To turn on voice typing in Google Docs, simply go to the menu list at the top of the page and select Tools. Then click on Voice typing and hit the microphone icon on the resulting window to start using the voice typing function. Better still, you can press Ctrl+Shift+S to turn on the feature.
Why is Google Docs voice typing not working?
If Google Docs voice typing isn’t working on your PC, you probably have tampered with its settings or your microphone is faulty. Regardless, you can fix this issue by going through the provided solutions in this article.