If you installed Windows 10 on a Mac computer using Boot Camp, but find that the camera is not working, here are some suggestions you can try out. These solutions will work for both – In-built camera or the external webcam.
FaceTime Camera not working in Windows 10 with Boot Camp
To fix the Camera not working error in Windows 10 Boot Camp, follow these steps-
- Repair Windows Support Software
- Allow apps to access Camera
- Check permission for Camera
- Install driver of an external webcam
Before you begin, make sure you have the latest Windows support software installed on your macOS.
1] Repair Windows Support Software
Windows Support Software is such a tool that is required to use various hardware of your Mac computer. If there is some issue with this utility, you may not be able to access multiple things, such as the camera. Although it gets downloaded when you install Windows on Boot Camp, you can download and repair the installation using this guide.
To get started, make sure a pen drive is connected to your computer. Otherwise, you have to use cloud storage or any other solutions to move the macOS’s downloaded tool to Windows 10 installation. Following that, open the Boot Camp Assistant (Press Command+Space > search for boot camp > click on the respective result) on your computer and select Action > Download Windows Support Software option.
Next, choose the USB pen drive as the download location and finish the download.
After that, open Windows installation on your Mac computer and double-click on the .exe file.
Choose the Repair option to repair the Windows Support Software instance on your computer. During the repair, you might get an alert. If it appears, click the Continue Anyway button.
Once it is completed, restart your Mac in Windows installation.
It is the most reliable solution for this issue. Apart from these, it is required to go through the following solutions as well.
2] Allow apps to access the camera
In Windows 10, users can allow or block camera access for apps.
To verify that setting, press Win+I to open Windows Settings on your computer and go to Privacy > Camera. On your right-hand side, confirm these settings-
- Make sure the Allow access to the camera on this device setting is turned on. If not, click the Change button and toggle the following button accordingly.
- Check if the Allow apps to access your camera setting is turned on. If not, toggle the corresponding button to enable it.
- Check if the Allow desktop apps to access your camera setting is turned on. Otherwise, toggle the respective button.
3] Check permission for Camera
You should also check if a specific app can access your camera or not. For that, open Windows Settings on your computer and go to Privacy > Camera. Next, find out the app list on your right-hand side. If you cannot use the camera with a specific app, make sure it is in the allowed app list. If not, toggle the associated button from under the Choose which Microsoft Store apps can access your camera.
4] Install driver of an external webcam
If you are using an external webcam alongside Windows 10 Boot Camp, it is required to install the driver. Although most recent webcams work without installing the driver, you can get a more compatible interface and features after the driver installation.
Apart from these, keep these following things in mind as well-
- For obvious reasons, you must have a working webcam. To verify it, open macOS on your Mac computer and check if it is working or not.
- If you are using an antivirus, disable it temporarily. At times, antivirus or security shield software can block camera access for privacy purposes.
That’s all! Hope these solutions work.
Related read: Laptop Camera not working in Windows 10.