For the native Maps app of Windows 11/10, you can download offline maps for a country or a region and then use those maps for directions and search for places. And, there is a built-in setting that helps to automatically update the downloaded maps when the device is on Wi-Fi and not on a metered connection. But, if you don’t want that, you can turn off or disable the Automatically update Offline Maps feature in Windows 11/10. This can be done using the native options in Windows 11 that are included in this post. Later, you can also turn on or enable the setting to update offline maps automatically using the same options.
Enable or disable Automatically update Offline Maps in Windows 11/10
You can enable or disable automatic update offline maps in a Windows 11 computer using three native options. These are:
- Using Settings app
- Local Group Policy Editor, and
- Windows Registry Editor.
Let’s check all of these options.
1] Use the Settings app to turn off the automatic update for Offline Maps
The steps to turn off the automatic update of offline maps using the Windows 11 Settings app are as follows:
- Open the Win+X menu or WinX menu and select the Settings option to open the Settings app. You can also use the Win+I shortcut for the same
- Click on the Apps category from the left section
- Jump to the Offline maps page
- Expand the Map updates section
- Uncheck the Update automatically when plugged in and on Wi-Fi option.
This is it. Now when you need to update offline maps, you can do this manually by clicking on the Check now button available under the Map updates section in the Settings app.
Later, you can select the same option (in step 5) to turn on the automatic update for offline maps.
2] Disable automatically update Offline Maps using the Local Group Policy Editor
Use the following steps to disable automatic update offline maps using Local Group Policy Editor:
- Type gpedit.msc in the Search box and hit Enter key to open the Local Group Policy Editor
- Access the Maps folder using the path given below:
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Maps
- Double-click on the Turn off Automatic Download and Update of Map Data setting. This action will open the setting window
- Select Enabled in that setting window
- Press Apply button and then the OK button.
The setting is configured successfully. In the Windows 11 Settings app, you will notice that the Update automatically when plugged in and on Wi-Fi option is greyed out for offline maps, as highlighted in the image below. That means the setting is disabled completely.
When you want to enable the automatic update for offline maps using the Local Group Policy setting, you can follow the steps covered above. The only change that you have to make is to select the Not Configured option for the Turn off Automatic Download and Update of Map Data setting, and use Apply button and then the OK button.
3] Use Registry Editor to disable automatic update of Offline Maps in Windows 11
You can use the steps added below to disable automatic update offline maps via Registry Editor in Windows 11. We advise you to backup Registry Editor first and then follow these steps:
- Open the Windows 11 Search box, type regedit, and then use Enter key. This will launch the Registry Editor window
- Jump to the Windows Registry key. The path for the Windows key is:
- Create a new Registry key under this Windows key
- Rename the new key to Maps
- Right-click on the Maps key, access the New menu, and use the DWORD (32-bit) Value option. You will see a new DWORD value is created
- Rename the new DWORD value to AutoDownloadAndUpdateMapData.
This will disable the setting to update offline maps automatically.
Later, to enable the automatic update for offline maps using Windows Registry Editor, follow the steps mentioned above, and delete the Maps Registry key.
How do I stop an offline map update?
If you want to stop automatic updates for downloaded maps in Windows 11, then use the Settings app. There is an Update automatically when plugged in and on Wi-Fi setting for offline maps. Uncheck that setting. On the other hand, if you want to disable the setting for offline maps update, then Local Group Policy Editor and Windows Registry Editor are the two options to use. If you want to learn how to use all these options for it, read this post.
Where is offline maps in Windows 11?
Offline maps are not available automatically. To use Offline Maps in Windows 11, first, download offline maps for a country you want. You can do this by accessing the Offline maps section in the Settings app and using the Download Maps button. Once done, you can open the Maps app, and it will help you get directions and search for places for that particular country even in offline mode using the maps downloaded by you.
Read next: How to change Location settings in Windows.