In this post, we show you how to create Hyper-V Virtual Machine Desktop Shortcut in Windows 11/10. With Hyper-V, PC users can create, configure and enable running virtualized computer systems on top of a physical host machine that supports virtualization. Virtualization enables quick deployment of computer systems, a way to quickly restore systems to a previously known good state, and the ability to migrate systems between physical hosts.
Out of the box, Hyper-V is only supported on Windows 11/10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions for 64-bit systems – but, you can install and enable Hyper-V on Windows 11/10 Home edition.
Create Hyper-V Virtual Machine Desktop Shortcut in Windows 11/10
You can make Hyper-V virtual machine launch automatically at startup, or you may want to create a desktop shortcut of a Hyper-V virtual machine to make it easier for you or any other user on the host machine to directly connect and start the virtual machine.
To create Hyper-V Virtual Machine Desktop Shortcut in Windows 11/10, do the following:
- Right-click or press and hold on an empty area on the Desktop.
- Click New > Shortcut.
- In the Type the location of the item: field, type in the following, and replace the <VMName> in the target with the actual VM name you want to create the desktop shortcut for.
vmconnect.exe localhost "<VMName>"
- Next, in the Type a name for this shortcut: field, specify a name you want for the shortcut.
- Click Finish.
- Now, right-click on the shortcut.
- Select Properties from the context menu.
- In the Shortcut tab, click the Advanced button.
- Check the Run as administrator option.
- Click OK > OK.
That’s it on how to create Hyper-V Virtual Machine Desktop Shortcut in Windows 11/10!
Related post: Handy Shortcuts: Create Desktop Shortcuts in Windows
How do I create a shortcut to a virtual machine?
To create a shortcut to a virtual machine, do the following:
- Launch VMware Workstation.
- In the virtual machine library tree (from Workstation menu bar, click on Show or Hide the Library button), or from the folder created in Library, drag the virtual machine to the Desktop or to a preferred location to create a new shortcut to the virtual machine with the specified name.
How do I pin Hyper-V Manager tile to the Start screen?
The Hyper-V Manager shortcut is located inside of the Windows Administrative Tools folder. You can access the Hyper-V Manager in Windows Server by launching Server Manager and selecting the Hyper-V Manager option from the Tools menu. To pin Hyper-V Manager tile to the Start screen on your Windows 11/10 computer, do the following: Click the Start menu > Administrative Tools. Right-click Hyper-V Manager > Pin to Start.
Where is VMConnect EXE located?
The VMConnect EXE is can be found in the following location; C:\Windows\System32\vmconnect.exe. You must run the VMConnect executable as administrator to be able to list the Virtual Machines. To choose a local resource, do the following:
- Open VMConnect.
- Select the virtual machine that you want to connect to.
- Click Show options.
- Select Local resources.
- Click More.
- Select the drive that you want to use on the virtual machine.
- Click OK.
- Select Save my settings for future connections to this virtual machine.
- Click Connect.
What is Hyper-V Quick create?
Quick Create takes the complexity out of setting up a new virtual machine in Hyper-V. Microsoft originally introduced its industrial hypervisor, Hyper-V, as an add-on for its Windows Server 2008 release.