You can configure your Gmail account easily with the auto-configure method of Microsoft Outlook. But you need to set up Gmail to allow you to download mail as POP or to map folders and emails using IMAP. Here are the steps to configure MS Outlook for Gmail.
Note: Microsoft Outlook now connects with Gmail directly using the Google Account login secured by 2FA verification. There is no need to configure the server address and the port manually. Even if you do, the settings will switch to the default Google way, and you will have no access to the settings for your Google account in the usual way.
Set up Gmail To Connect With Microsoft Outlook
- Log into your Gmail Account.
- Click on the Gear icon and select Settings.
- Click on Forwarding and POP/IMAP on the links given above your Inbox
- Under POP Download, click to select Enable POP for all mail that arrives from now on.
- Select Archive Gmail’s Copy in the drop-down box next to When Messages Are Accessed With POP
- Click on Save Changes
The above method sets up your Gmail account to let MS Outlook download messages through the POP3 protocol. In case you wish to map the folders and access your Gmail messages through IMAP, proceed with steps 1 to 3 above and instead of selecting Enable POP, go to the IMAP Access and select Enable IMAP. NOTE: You should either select POP or IMAP but not both. Auto Configure MS Outlook. Once you are done with the above, you can make Microsoft Outlook to auto-configure your account for you.
- From the File menu (Office button in Office 2007), select Add New Account
- Enter your email ID and password in the dialog box that appears
- Click on Next
- Microsoft Outlook will take a few minutes to search for Gmail settings and will configure the account for you.
Note that if you selected POP in the Settings of Gmail above, you would get a POP3 account. Accordingly, if you have selected IMAP above, you get an IMAP account in Microsoft Outlook. If you wish to configure Microsoft Outlook manually for Gmail, here are the settings you will need to use. Settings To Configure MS Outlook Manually For Gmail
- From the File menu, select Add Account
- In the dialog box that appears, select Manually configure server settings or additional server types.
NOTE: Please also see the comment by Jinu below.
See this post if Outlook cannot connect to Gmail, keeps asking for the password.
This explains how to configure Microsoft Outlook for Gmail. If you need further assistance, feel free to drop a note in the comments section.