Just got a new G Suite – now called Google Workspace – account from your company or university? You may face some problems while accessing it through your normal email clients. This tutorial is a complete guide on how to configure your Google Workspace account so that it works with your normal email clients. In this tutorial, we will cover the configuration setup on Microsoft Outlook. The steps are almost the same for other email clients.
Add Google Workspace to Outlook
Part 1: Configuring your account to enable POP/IMAP access
POP and IMAP are communication protocols between the email client and the email provider. These protocols facilitate the flow of data from email servers to email clients. POP was the first to come and IMAP was engineered later.
Both protocols are entirely different. The major difference being, POP (Post Office Protocol) configuration downloads and stores your emails locally, and making any changes to them does not affect the original content on the server. IMAP (Internet Messaged Access Protocol) setup lets you download and sync your emails across all clients and the server. IMAP is more preferred these days because of its synchronization features.
Now, check out how to enable IMAP access in a G Suite account. You may click on the images to see their larger versions.
- Open up your Gmail inbox for the G Suite account you want to configure.
- Hit the Settings icon in the top right corner, just below your profile picture. Select ‘Settings’ from the drop-down.
- Head over to “Forwarding and POP/IMAP” tab. Click on “Enable IMAP” and then click on ‘Save Changes’ leaving all other settings to defaults.
Now you are done with configuring Gmail, now we need to configure Outlook to receive your emails. You can now configure any other email client or add this email address to your mobile phone by following the similar configuration steps.
Part 2: Outlook Configuration
- If you are opening Outlook for the first time, Add Account Setup will automatically pop out. Or you can manually select to add a new account.
- Choose manual setup mode and hit ‘Next’. In the next step select ‘POP or IMAP’ option.
- Now, enter all the relevant details like your name and the email address. Also, enter your login username and password. Now under server configuration, change the account type to IMAP.
- In the ‘Incoming Mail Server’ settings, enter “imap.gmail.com” and in ‘Outgoing Mail Server’ enter “smtp.gmail.com”.
- Click on ‘More Settings’ button and go to the ‘Outgoing Server’ tab. Check the checkbox and select ‘Use same settings as my incoming mail server’.
- Now go to the ‘Advanced’ tab, and exactly enter the details as follows:
- Incoming Server (IMAP) Port: 993
- Incoming encryption type: SSL
- Outgoing Server (SMTP) Port: 587
- Outgoing Encryption type: TLS
- Server Time Out: 5 Minutes(Recommended)
Finally, save the settings and head to the next step.
Outlook will test your server settings and prompt you if anything goes wrong.
If everything goes right, you will see a successful message and the emails would start downloading.
If you are not able to log in and Outlook is demanding password again and again then you may have enabled 2-step login on your account. You can disable 2-step login or generate an app password. App passwords are replacements to your normal passwords that can be used to login to apps and other devices. You don’t need to remember app passwords and they can be easily generated. Head over to this link to generate your app password.
Select the custom name from the drop-down and name the configuration whatever you wish. Hit the Generate button and copy the generated password. Now replace your original password with this password while logging in through outlook. You can save this password within Outlook for easy access.
How do I add a Google Workspace to Outlook?
There are two primary things you need to keep in mind to add a Google Workspace to Outlook. First, you need to turn on the POP/IMAP access in your Google Workspace account. Second, you need to configure Outlook for Google Workspace. The entire guide is mentioned in this article, and you can follow each step to get it added.
Is Google Workspace compatible with Outlook?
Yes, Google Workspace is compatible with Outlook in every way. Although you might not get the same interface for obvious reasons, you can use a Google Workspace account with Outlook if you follow the aforementioned guide.
How does Google Workspace work with Outlook?
Google Workspace works with Outlook without any problem if you set things up correctly. You need to start by enabling IMAP/POP access in your Google Workspace account. Following that, you can add the account to your Outlook client by choosing the POP or IMAP option. You must add the correct incoming and outgoing servers, ports, encryption type, etc.
So this was all about setting up and adding your G Suite account to Outlook. The process involves a lot many steps but they are pretty easy to overcome.