Skype is one of the most popular software application used to make free voice and video calls and chat over the Internet. It is extremely easy to use and even the newbies can use Skype in a professional manner.
Skype provides a facility to make free calls to other Skype users and charges a minimal fees for making calls to landline and mobile phones. Skype has a rich feature set which includes instant messaging, file transfer and video conferencing.
You may have read that Microsoft is buying Skype in the range of some $8 billion and that the EU antitrust regulators have in fact now also given the Microsoft-Skype deal the green light.
In this post I will tell you how to set up and use Skype to make free calls.
Skype can be installed by following the steps given below:
1. Download Skype here. It is available free of cost. A Premium version. But the free version should suffice, so you can start with it.
2. Run the installer file. And click I agree-next.
3. There will be some extra options available like Google Toolbar and Click to call with Skype. Select these features only if you want to install them or carry on with your installation, else uncheck this option.
4. Now wait for the package files to be installed. This process usually takes around 5 minutes.
Skype has now been successfully installed on your system.
To use Skype, follow these steps:
1. You must have a Skype account. If you haven’t got one, you can make an account here. It is free of cost.
2. Launch the Skype application and Sign in using your Skype account.
3. After you have successfully logged into your account, you will see a window where you can find options for Chat, Instant Messaging, Video Call, File transfer etc.
4. You can add contacts by searching for a person by his name/email address or Skype name.
5. Once you have added contacts, you can use all the features of Skype.
You can call a person both on Skype as well as on their mobile phone and landline telephones. Plus if you want to have a video call or a video conference with a group of people, you can do that just by clicking on make a Video Call.