This is a post that will explain how to restore or recover the deleted files, folders, and other items from the Recycle Bin to the original locations. At times, we end up deleting important files and folders, and then we do not know how to restore them back to their original place. But, you need not worry as this post for beginners will guide you through all the steps and ways in detail. Let us first see how to and where to locate the Recycle Bin.
Find or Locate the Recycle Bin
The Recycle Bin is usually located on the desktop. That is where you will find it most of the time. In case you are not able to find it, go to the Search option and simply search for ‘Recycle Bin‘.
To get the Recycle Bin on your desktop in Windows 1/110, follow these steps. Go the Start button, then click on the Settings option. The following window will be displayed on your screen. Choose the Personalization option.
The next step is to go to the Themes tab and then click on the Desktop icon settings.
A smaller pop-up window will be displayed on the screen. Click on the Recycle Bin checkbox and then click on Apply.
The Recycle Bin icon will now appear on your screen.
Restore deleted file from Recycle Bin to original location
There are mainly two ways to restore the deleted items. Let us see how.
First, open the Recycle Bin. To do so, right-click on the icon and click Open; or double-click on the icon. The Recycle Bin is now open.
1. Click on the file(s) and folder(s) you want to restore and select them. Right-click on that and select the Restore option.
2. Select the file or folder you want to restore. On the Ribbon above, you will see the Manage option under Recycle Bin Tools. Single-click on Manage and then click on the appropriate option Restore the selected items.
These are the two ways how you can restore the deleted files and folders from the Recycle Bin back to the original locations. You can also restore all the items from the Recycle Bin by choosing that option to do so.
Recover Shift Deleted files which have been deleted permanently
When you use the Delete command, files get moved to the Recycle Bin, which is then emptied periodically – or you can empty the Recycle Bin manually. If you press Shift+Delete, then the item is not moved to the Recycle Bin. It gets directly deleted. To recover such Shift Deleted files, which have been deleted permanently, you will have to use a Free Data Recovery Software.
Even if you have emptied the Recycle bin, it is possible to permanently recover them by using such software. Thus, even if you accidentally delete any important files or folders, you do not have to panic as they can be easily restored without any hassle.
You can also restore deleted files with these methods:
- Restore files from a backup: Open Control Panel > Backup and Restore > Restore my files.
- Using File History: Type restore files in taskbar search and in the search results above, select Restore your files with File History.
- Restore files from Previous versions: Previous versions come from File History or Restore Points. Navigate to the folder that had the file, right-click it, and then select Restore previous versions.