When you turn on Windows 10 PC, and if you see the On-Screen keyboard appears on startup or login screen, then it can be pretty annoying to close it manually every time. Every time it appears, you will have to click on the x button to get rid of it. In this post, we will share how you can disable the On-Screen keyboard from appearing on startup or login screen when you boot Windows 10.
Windows 10 On-Screen keyboard appears on login
Some users have reported that even when they had made changes to prevent the on-screen keyboard showing at startup, it keeps appearing. If you face this issue, here are several solutions that you can use to solve this problem:
- Disable On-Screen keyboard via the Settings app
- Toggle it via Control Panel
- Disable or Remove the On-Screen keyboard from the Startup
- Disable Touch screen keyboard and handwriting panel service.
There is one thing you should know. If you are using Windows 10 in tablet mode, i.e., when there is no keyboard attached to the main hardware, the On-Screen keyboard can appear as soon as you tap on one of the users to enter the password.
1] Disable On-Screen keyboard via the Settings app
- Use WIN + I to open Settings, and then navigate to Ease of Access > Keyboard
- Turn off the toggle next to Use the On-Screen Keyboard.
2] Toggle it via Control Panel
Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Ease of Access Center, and click on the Start On-Screen Keyboard option. It will turn off the keyboard.
3] Disable or Remove On-Screen keyboard from the Startup
OSK.EXE is the program used for the On-Screen keyboard. If the program is set to launch with Windows 10 boot, then it will automatically appear on the login screen.
- Right-click on the Taskbar, and select Task Manager
- Switch to Startup Tab
- Check if there is a listing of Accessibility On-Screen keyboard.
- Right-click on it, and select Disable.
You can manually launch the keyboard by typing osk.exe in the Run prompt.
4] Disable Touch screen keyboard & handwriting panel service.
- Run services.msc to open Services Manager
- Locate Touch screen keyboard and handwriting panel service.
- Double click to open its Properties
- Change the Startup type to Manual.
If you are using a tablet, you may not want to disable it.
I hope the instructions were easy to follow, and you were able to get rid of the On-Screen keyboard from starting at every login or startup.