CompatTelRunner.exe is the Windows Compatibility Telemetry process. It periodically sends usage and performance data to Microsoft IP addresses so that improvements can be made on user experience & usage, and fix potential issues. It is enabled by default, and the data points are useful for Microsoft to improve Windows 10. Some users, however, have reported that it slows their computer.
What is CompatTelRunner.exe
Windows Telemetry is system data that is uploaded by the Connected User Experience and Telemetry component. It is used to keep your keep indows devices secure. It also helps Microsoft improve the quality of Windows and Microsoft services. CompatTelRunner.exe on Windows 10 is the program managing everything.
If you go to Windows Settings > Privacy > Diagnostics and feedback, you can configure Telemetry here. You can change your feedback frequency from always to once a week or even never. The same place gives you the option to delete the diagnostic data.
How to disable CompatTelRunner.exe activity?
Some users have reported that when this program runs, it scans a lot of files on the hard disk and sends a large amount of data over the internet. It starts as soon as the computer is started, and this activity slows down the computer and even makes it unresponsive at times.
If you wish to disable CompatTelRunner.exe, here is what you can do:
1] Disable Application Experience Tasks
- Type taskschd.msc in the Run prompt and hit Enter.
- The Task Scheduler will open.
- Navigate to Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Application Experience
- Select the Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser task, right-click on it, and disable it.
The task you disabled collects program telemetry information if opted-in to the Microsoft Customer Experience Improvement Program.
You can also, instead, choose to change the time the data is sent across.
- Right-click on the program, and click on Properties
- Switch to Trigger section, and double click on any of the triggers to open it.
- Here you can change the schedule of the program, repeat task settings, delay, and more.
2] Disable Windows Telemetry
Windows Telemetry is the program which collects all kind of data in Windows. There are four levels of Telemetry in Windows 10 — Security, Basic, Enhanced, and Full. You can choose to use a Basic level to reduce the activity.
Hope this helps.