Wireless technology helps us to connect our Windows systems to a specific WiFi network so that we can easily access the Internet without connecting any cable to the system. In our everyday life, we came across many WiFi networks. Whenever you came in the range of previously connected WiFi network, whether it is secure or not, you’re automatically connected. In some cases, you may need to update the WiFi network security passcode so that you can connect to the network.
In this article, I’ll show you how to update the security passcode or key for a specific WiFi network. Basically, you can update the WiFi network key manually or by using the Command Prompt. Both the ways are mentioned here for your convenience.
Manually Update Security Key For WiFi Network
1. Press Windows Key + R, type ncpa.cpl in the Run dialog box and hit Enter to open Network Connections.
2. In the Network Connections window, right-click over Wi-Fi and select Status.
3. In the WiFi Status shown below, click Wireless Properties.
4. In the Wireless Network Properties window, for the Network security key section, change the password and input the new password. Click OK. You may now close Network Connections window.
You can now try to reconnect the same WiFi network, and if the key is correct, you’ll be connected on the go.
Update Security Key For Specific WiFi Network Using Command Prompt
1. Open Command Prompt; by pressing Windows Key + R and type cmd.exe and hit Enter. Execute the following command:
netsh wlan show profiles
2. If you like, you can use the following command to show the properties of that specific wireless network for which you’re updating the security key:
netsh wlan show profiles name="profilename"
Substitute WiFi network for which you’re updating the password with profilename.
3. Now execute the following command to clear the existing security key for that specific wireless network:
netsh wlan show profiles name="profilename" key=clear
Now, when next time you’ll connect to the same WiFi network, it will ask you the new key. So enter the new security key and after verification, you’ll be connected.
I trust you find the article helpful.
Read: Types of Wireless Network Security keys and how to secure them.