Microsoft has changed the way it will install the latest Windows 10 May 2019 Feature Update on Windows 10. Windows 10 Setup will now require you to disconnect any external USB device or remove an SD memory card before the setup can proceed. In case Setup detects that a USB is attached, it will display a message – What needs your attention, This PC can’t be upgraded to Windows 10.
Your PC has hardware that isn’t ready for this version of Windows 10. No action is needed. Windows Update will offer this version of Windows 10 automatically once the issue has been resolved.
This PC can’t be upgraded to Windows 10
- You’re running a Windows-10 based computer that has either the April 2018 Update (Windows 10, version 1803) or the October 2018 Update (Windows 10, version 1809) installed.
- An external USB device or SD memory card is attached to the computer.
- You try to upgrade the computer to the May 2019 Update, or you have automatic updates turned on in the Windows Update settings.
According to Microsoft, this message will appear on eligible computers that are plugged with an external USB device or an SD memory card. Due to these reasons, the May 2019 update is currently blocked on eligible machines.
This is being done to avoid drive reassignment error. The Setup may reassign the drive letter – and this is bad! The drive letter reassignment is not limited to removable drives. Internal hard drives can also be affected.
- The best possible way to resolve this error is by removing the external media and restarting the May 2019 update.
- Ensure that all the drivers are updated to the latest version
- Unplug the printer and any other devices connected via USB.
Microsoft has promised to resolve this error by issuing a future servicing update. Until then you can use the above workaround and get the update installed.
Read: Your PC has hardware that isn’t ready for this version of Windows 10.
If you need more help, take a look at these links:
- Can my computer run Windows 10?
- Minimum System & Hardware requirements for Windows 10