Many organizations have multiple people in the administrator position. To make things easier for such an organization, Microsoft Teams allows users to add numerous owners to a single team. If you want to switch member roles or remove a member from any team in Microsoft Teams, you need to follow these steps.
As mentioned, some organizations appoint multiple people to manage a team, and they work as an administrator. Keeping that in mind, Microsoft Teams offers various user roles so that such an organization can assign the right person for a job. You can find three different types of roles, and they have different features:
- Owners: A team owner can add or remove people from a team, make a privacy-related change, create a private team, etc.
- Members: A team member can create a channel, chat in a private team, create a private chat, share files, install apps, create a team, etc. However, all the other administrator-level accesses are not available for a “Member” of a team.
- Guests: Let’s assume that you want to invite someone to a team from outside of your organization. He/she can be a vendor, business partner, client, or anybody who doesn’t have access to your organization. A guest user has minimal access like he/she can create a channel, participate in a private chat or channel conversation, share a file, delete messages, etc.
Sometimes you may need to make someone an owner or convert an owner account to a “Members” account.
How to change Member Role in Microsoft Teams
To switch or change a member’s role in Microsoft Teams, follow these steps-
- Open Microsoft Teams site or app
- Click the Manage team option
- Expand the current role drop-down menu
- Select a different role.
Like any other changes in Microsoft Teams, you can do it from the official website of Microsoft Teams as well as the app for Windows 10. Either way, open Microsoft Teams on your computer and select a team, which has the user. Following that, click the three-dotted button visible next to the team name, and select Manage team option.
Here you can find all the users of your team under the Members tab. Find out the user to change the role and expand the drop-down menu (it should indicate like Owner or Member). After that, you need to select a different role for that user.
Your change should be saved immediately.
How to remove a Member from Microsoft Teams
Before trying to remove a user from Microsoft Teams, you should know that you cannot delete an owner directly. You need to change the role from “Owner” to “Member” first and then; you can follow these steps-
- Open Members tab in the Manage team window
- Click the cross sign
To get started, you need to select a team from where you want to remove the person. Now, click the three-dotted button to expand the menu and choose Manage team option. Now, find out the user that you want to remove and click the respective cross (x) sign.
No confirmation is required, and Microsoft Teams will remove the user immediately.
In case you have removed someone by mistake, you can get him or her back quickly. For that, visit the same Members window, and click the Add member button. Now you need to search for the person’s name and select him/her accordingly.
It is effortless to make some owner or member and remove a member from Microsoft Teams.
I hope this tutorial will be helpful to you.
- Tags: Teams