If you are possibly planning to hire a designer for re-modeling your current space or designing a new office space, maybe you want to think again! SweetHome3D, as the name suggests is a useful freeware and a great interior design resource for designing small/medium sized home or a workplace.
Interior Design Software
Sweet Home 3D is an open-source, multi-platform interior design Java application for quickly choosing and placing furniture on a house 2D plan, with a 3D preview. To create your project you just need to create your rooms, drag and drop objects into the grid view of the tool and see them building up in a 3D view.
How to install Sweet Home 3D
Sweet Home 3D is functional on both, Windows OS (Windows 98 – Windows7) and Mac OS X (10.4 Tiger – 10.7 Lion). Moreover, to make the software’s use much easier, it is translated in 21 different languages. Windows users just need to download the 33.3 MB file and run the program by clicking on the .exe file and simply follow the instructions from the setup wizard.
How to use Sweet Home 3D
First, you need to create rooms. To do this, click ‘Create Rooms’ button from the toolbar under the Menu bar and then click the four corners for your room in the working pane. Drag the wall and define the overall dimensions of the house. By default, measurements are provided in inches but the metric system is also available.
The user Interface of the program is divided in four resizable panes namely:
- The furniture catalog – Contains all the furniture and objects you would like to add to your home/office design. You can display the furniture in a category by clicking on the triangle beside its name.
- The home furniture list – It contains home furniture that can be sorted by clicking on each column title.
- The home plan – The pane displays a view of your created home from the top. Here, you can draw walls using a mouse and layout your furniture upon it.
- The home 3D view – This pane displays your home in a 3D view. You can view your project either from the top, or from a virtual visitor point of view
In the library section of the official website, you can find more that 250 objects developed by third-party producers.
- Minimum processor of 400 MHz
- Minimum 256 MB RAM
- Java Runtime Environment
You can download it from SourceForge. For more information you can you can check out the complete user’s guide and even view Sweet Home 3D video tutorial or use Sweet Home 3D help, by accessing the Help button found in the tool bar of Sweet Home 3D windows.