When you get a new Windows computer, the first thing you would want to do is set up an Internet connection. If that’s the case, you should know that Windows 10 offers many ways to connect to the Internet. In this guide, we will share how you can set up WiFi or an Ethernet/Broadband connection.
How to set up an Internet connection on Windows 10
How to connect to a WiFi Network
- Press WIN+A to open the Action Center.
- Click on the wireless icon in the Quick Actions list.
- It will reveal names of all the WiFi networks available around you.
- Click on the wireless network you want to connect to.
- You may choose to connect to the WiFi automatically.
- Click Connect.
- Enter the Password or the network security key in the next screen.
If the credentials are correct, you will be able to connect to the WiFi network.
How to manually connect to WiFi in Windows 10
Sometimes you may need to stay away from the internet. It could be your work, or you want to save battery. Even when not connected, the WiFi adapter keeps looking for networks, and it consumes battery. While Windows 10 offers the option to automatically connect to WiFi when you set it up manually – but if you did not, there are two options. First, choose the options which can automatically re-enable the WiFi adapter. The second option Manually.
- Click on the wireless icon on the bottom right of the taskbar.
- Next tap to turn the WiFi off.
- It will reveal a setting where you can choose when to turn WiFi back on.
- You can choose to turn on WiFi Manually, in one hour, in four hours or one day.
- Choose Manually.
When you want to connect to the internet, turn it back on, and then choose which network to join. It will automatically connect to a system which the adapter was previously configured to connect. However, if you decide to connect to the WiFi network manually, you can that as well.
How to set up a Broadband (PPPoE) connection in Windows 10
Many network providers offer Broadband connection or PPPoE which allows multiple computers to connect to their network. Windows 10 has inbuilt support for PPPoE.
Go to Settings >Network & Internet > Dial-Up. Click on “Set up a new connection.” It will launch the connection setup Wizard. It usually works with computers connected using Ethernet.
- Click on Connect to the Internet.
- Select Broadband (PPPoE).
- Next, enter username, password, name of ISP to connect.
Make sure to select to share the connection. It will allow other users on this computer to connect to the Internet as well. It is possible that your ISP has shared DNS IP address. You can set them in the Network adapter.
Here is a tip when using PPPoE. While you can set it up on your computer, it is advisable to set up on your router. It will be helpful when you have multiple computers that need an internet connection.