Xbox has evolved from a gaming console to a complete social experience around gaming. Starting with Xbox One, anyone with Xbox Live has more access to consuming more content, audio chat with gamers you don’t know, making friends, watching their videos on Mixer, and so on. This also means you will end up meeting rouge players who don’t come to bring good to the community but do all sorts of nuisance.
Keeping this in mind, Microsoft has an inbuilt tool to report such activities and gamers along with the content to ensure your experience always remains on par. Microsoft has a detailed code of conduct on its website, which warns of things you should not be doing in the community.
If you have a bad experience with an Xbox Live gamer, you can report him using his Gamertag right from the Xbox One console. Xbox Live lets you report for many reasons:
- Inappropriate profile content includes anything with their Profile pictures, content in the bio, inappropriate, abusive, or threatening language in voice communications or form of text, and so on.
- Xbox One now allows you to share content like videos, screenshots, and so on. Even though it’s restricted, if you find content that is not right for some reason, including violent and controversial religious content, you can report it.
- Xbox is known for getting modded, which gives some users an advantage over others. If you doubt that a player is cheating in the game, quitting early, spoiling the game, killing their teammates, and trolling others, you can report them.
Report & Block a Gamertag on Xbox
- Open Xbox Guide
- Navigate to People Section (Friend list)
- Select Recent Players, figure out which player it was, and select the profile by pressing A on your controller.
- Under his profile, look for a label that says Report or Block. Press A to open it.
- Now you can select either report or block.
- Report: You can select one of the reasons I mentioned above.
- Block: This will ensure that gamers will never be able to contact you in any way, including party invites, messages, and game chat, nor see your content. This is applied immediately.
Note: When you report a gamer or content, nothing happens instantly. Microsoft has its system to check on how many people are reporting, and sometimes they are manually checked, so nobody cheats with the system. However, when the number of reports increases for a gamer, you see the notice which might say Avoid or a similar message to give you a warning.
You can always search the People section if you cannot find a gamertag in your recent player’s list. Look for a label that says Find Someone, and then you can search using the exact gamertag.
Report Offensive Content on Xbox
The Xbox Community section allows you to share your game clips, images, achievements, and so on with your friends or everyone in the Xbox Live community. If you find something offensive about it, you can report it. Take a look at the screenshot below:
This will look almost similar no matter where you reach it. So the action will be the same in all cases.
- Press A on your controller to open it.
- Look for More Options which is usually at the bottom left. Tap to open it
- Select a report, and you will have to select one of the following things.
- Wrong feed item.
- Feed item is inappropriate, offensive, or harassing.
- Player Name or gamertag
- Player Picture.
- Submit to complete reporting.
How to Report a Message on Xbox
Xbox Live has an in-built messaging system that allows any of your friends, and if you have your privacy settings open, anybody who knows your gamer tag can send you audio or a text message. You can report them too.
- Open that message, and press reply.
- Next, using the cursor keys on your controller, you can navigate to the individual message you found offensive.
- Press A, and you will have the option to mark it as inappropriate or spam
- If you wish to report the person from here, you can use the More Option to do it.
How to Report a Club on Xbox
Clubs are new features in Xbox One which allow you to run a virtual club for any game you like. It helps find new gamers, many interesting conversations, and so on. In case you find an offensive Club, you can report it.
- Open the People Menu by first pressing the Guide Button and navigating to the left to the People section.
- Next, find the Clubs section, and open it.
- If you are a club member, you should see it listed; otherwise, search for the club using the Explore All clubs option.
- Once you wish to report on the front page of the Club, look for a button that says REPORT.
- Select, and press A and choose from options that include
- Club Name is inappropriate to name or offensive.
- Club Description
- Profile Pic.
Similarly, Look for Group posts can be reported.
Xbox Live has a system to report all contents you find offending. However, be warned that do not misuse the feature, or karma will follow you back. Any time you report a person, think about it because, unlike blocking a message, this cannot be reverted. If you think things went south and the person deserves it, then take your bold step.
How long does it take for Xbox to respond to a report?
Xbox can take up to 48 hours to 72 hours to review and take action on a report. In some cases, they may need to contact the person who made the report for more information. Even then, a final decision may take even longer.
How long can Xbox Team ban a gamertag?
The length of time it takes for an appeal to be processed can vary depending on the nature of the offense and how the enforcement team assesses it. In some cases, an appeal may be processed within a day, while in others, it may take up to a month. If you have received an enforcement action on your account, you can initiate the appeal process by filing a case review. Xbox takes enforcement action at the account level but may temporarily suspend or permanently ban consoles or other devices where repeated and egregious violations have occurred.