Registry Commander is a free software for Windows that will allow you to manage your Windows Registry easily and efficiently. While Registry changes can be made using the built-in Registry Editor, Registry Commander offers you many more features that let you manipulate and control the Registry more efficiently.
Registry Commander review
Today, in this article we’ll discuss Registry Commander, which can be considered to be a great feature-rich alternative to the built-in Registry Editor.
This tool is freeware and offers a visual display of the registry keys in the form of a folder, rather than showing the keys in the left pane and having their corresponding entries in the right pane.
This utility offers some very useful features, which are as follows:
- Copy or Rename/Move entire keys and values from one key to another.
- Cut or Copy keys and values from one place and paste them into another.
- A column that displays the size in bytes of a value’s data.
- Supports all 12 data types, defined in the “winnt.h” header file. Most other registry editors only handle Strings, Binary, DWord, Expanded Strings and sometimes also MultiString.
- It allows you to bookmark keys or values so you can access them more quickly. Comments can be associated with each bookmark.
- Search part of or the entire registry database, not only can you search by a keyword, but you can also search by size or data type.
- Change a value’s data type. i.e. you can change a string into a binary value, without changing the content of the data.
- Ability to interpret one value for another, without modifying the data. This would allow you to view a string saved as a binary value or vice versa.
- With the reg:// protocol, you can create links to a specific key in the registry, it works the same way as http:// does.
- The history list allows you a quick jump from a current key to a previous key.
Personally, I found the bookmark feature to be the most useful here, because in case of the Registry, sometimes it is hard to remember the exact location and settings of the entries. The bookmark feature, plus the commenting on this bookmark, helps you remember things exactly. Also, other features enlisted above are useful too!
Registry Commander download
To use this portable software, all you need to do is download the RAR achieve from here and extract it using a decompression freeware. In the extracted folder, you’ll see a file named RegCmd. Click on it, give permissions to UAC and the Registry Commander window will show up.
NOTE: Although Registry Commander worked fine on Windows 10, it does not seem to have been updated for quite a while now.