After a major upgrade or an update, Windows users sometimes face an issue with the Realtek microphone, which tends to malfunction. Many people use audio drivers made by Realtek, and Windows users find it frustrating when this device breaks down. Not to worry, given below is everything you need to know to solve the Realtek microphone not working issue. This post will share suggestions, including basic troubleshooting to fix the problem of the Realtek microphone not working in Windows.
Realtek microphone not working in Windows 11/10
Here are the suggestions you can follow to fix the problem with the Realteck microphone on your Windows PC:
- Basic Troubleshooting to fix the Microphone
- Increase microphone volume
- Check if the microphone is set as default or disabled
- Disable and Enable the Microphone
- Run Microphone Troubleshooter
- Reinstall Driver (OEM Download)
1] Basic Troubleshooting to fix the Microphone
- Restart PC
Try restarting your PC, as this simple step sometimes solves most issues in Windows.
- Is your Microphone connected to the PC?
Check whether the microphone you are using is connected to the PC. Select Start > Settings > System > Sound. In Sound settings, check on your connected microphones. Ifit is a Bluetooth microphone, select Add device next to Pair a new Bluetooth device. Bluetooth devices are known to disconnect after being idle, which can be the case here.
- Check Microphone access to apps and Windows (Privacy Settings):
Select Start > Settings > Privacy & security > Microphone. Next, go to Let apps access your microphone. Once you have allowed microphone access to your apps, you can change the settings for each app.
- Check if you have access to Mic in the app:
It will vary from application to application. If you are facing an issue in an app, go to the app’s settings and then locate the audio and microphone settings. Check if the correct microphone is selected.
- Check Volume Bar:
Make sure your microphone is connected to your PC. Select Start > Settings > System > Sound. In Sound settings, go to Input and, next to Volume, look for the blue bar that rises and falls as you speak into your microphone.
Alternatively, you can also use the sound recorder in Windows to check if you can hear anything once you record the audio. If you can see waves as you speak on the sound recorder, it’s a sign that the microphone is working.
- Use System Restore:
You will need admin permission to ensure a system restore is in place. If the drivers cause an issue, you can always restore the PC to the previous state.
If the problem persists after performing the basic troubleshooting, follow the advanced troubleshooting guide to solve the problem of the Realtek Microphone not working on Windows.
2] Increase microphone volume
Before you start, ensure the microphone or headset is connected to your computer. Also, ensure that the microphone is positioned correctly. So, here is how you can increase the volume of your microphone:
- Select Start > Settings > System > Sound.
- Under Input, select a microphone to see its properties.
- In Input volume, adjust the blue slider to increase the volume. If the microphone is set on mute, this helps to resolve the problem.
- If it does not solve the issue, click the Start Test button next to the Test your microphone label.
- It will help you troubleshoot any issues with your microphone. Check whether the Realtek microphone is working.
3] Check if the microphone is set as default or disabled
This issue could arise if Windows does not have your Realtek microphone set as the default device. Follow the steps given below to set the Realtek microphone as the default microphone device:
- Press Windows key + I to open Settings > Sound.
- Scroll down and select More sound settings.
- In the Sound windows, switch to the Recording tab.
- Right-click on a space in the tab and tick Show Disabled Devices to ensure that the microphone is in the list of devices.
- Next, make sure it is set to Set default.
Check whether the Realtek microphone is working.
4] Disable and Enable the Microphone
This quick fix using the Device Manager can also be applied when your computer’s internal microphone experiences issues, such as when the Windows Realtek microphone stops functioning. To solve this issue, follow our detailed guide on how to disable the microphone. Once you disable it, follow the same steps, but instead enable it.
Once done, check whether the Realtek microphone is working. If not, move to the next suggestion.
5] Run Microphone Troubleshooter
Windows has built-in troubleshooters that can fix problems like the malfunctioning Realtek microphone. Run the troubleshooter as follows:
- Right-click the speaker icon in the taskbar’s right corner and select Troubleshoot sound problems.
- The troubleshooter will immediately detect any issues you have with your audio device and suggest a fix.
- Wait for it to finish, read the prompts, and select the best option for you.
Check whether the Realtek microphone is working.
6] Reinstall Driver (OEM Download)
Realtek microphone may not be working for various reasons, one of which is that the device’s drivers are outdated. Check the following steps to update the drives.
- Go to Device Manager, and locate the Realtek Microphone in the Audio & Input list.
- Right-click on it, select properties and note down the model number.
- Go to the Intel website, and download the driver based on the OS version and hardware.
You can restart your computer after the update is complete to see if the issue has been fixed.
If the microphone still doesn’t work?
If none of these helped you, then it’s a hardware issue. If you use an external microphone, it’s best to connect with the OEM support team to get it sorted. You will probably get a replacement if it’s under warranty. If it’s on your motherboard, the support should help you repair it. If the cost is too high, it’s best to buy an external microphone.
Having a functioning microphone and audio device on your devices is crucial because of their importance. You can now solve the Windows Realtek microphone not working issue by following the detailed instructions in this post.
Why is my Realtek mic not working Windows 11?
From a bug or glitch to hardware, anything could be responsible for this issue. However, here we have consolidated some of the best methods to troubleshoot the Realtek microphone not working issue on Windows 11 and Windows 10. For example, you can try increasing the volume first. Then, you can use the Troubleshooter as well.
Is Realtek audio compatible with Windows 11?
Yes, Realtek audio is compatible with Windows 11. No matter whether you use Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1, Windows 10, or Windows 11, you can certainly use Realtek audio on your computer without any issue. All you need to do is to install the driver.