If you are looking to turn off or disable your Mic or Microphone in Windows 10/8/7, then this post will show you how to do it easily. Many people these days, prefer to disable the Mic and the Webcam for privacy and security reasons, as they can get hacked and the hackers would be able to hear everything you say or see everything you do in from of your laptop.
Turn off Microphone in Windows 10
To disable the microphone in Windows 10, you have to access the Device Manager or Settings.
1] Mute the mic using Device Manager
- Right-click on the Start Button to open the WinX Menu.
- Here select Device Manager. This interface lets you easily manage your devices and the device drivers.
- Now expand the Audio inputs and outputs section
- You will see your Microphone listed there.
- Right-click on it and select Disable.
When you do that, you will see a dialog box stating:
Disabling this device will cause it to stop functioning. Do you really want to disable it?
Click on Yes, and your computers Mic will be disabled.
To enable it back, follow the same procedure, and select Enable.
Read: How to or disable Webcam.
2] Via Settings
- Open Settings
- Click on System
- Select Sound section
- Under Input, click on Manage sound devices
- Select Microphone
- Click on the Disable button.
These days, using Remote Access Technology (RAT), hackers can compromise your system and watch you, monitor your activities, and even record your actions, using your own webcam or microphone!
TIP: MicSwitch lets you mute the Microphone with a shortcut in Windows 10.
If you are one, who never uses the mic or webcam and who fears being watched or heard, you may want to disable the webcam and the Mic. You can of course always enable it again anytime in the future, should the need arise.