In this post, we’ll look at different workarounds you can try in case downloads keep stopping on Origin. Developed by Electronic Arts, Origin is a digital distribution platform from where you can purchase video games and play them on your PC. The platform has a dedicated software client for PC from where you can download your favorite games. But many users have reported that the game downloads automatically stop on Origin. So, if you are also having a hard time downloading your favorite video game, continue with this troubleshooting guide to fix the problem.
Origin download keeps stopping and getting stuck
If Downloads keep stopping or pausing, and won’t finish on Origin on Windows 11/10 PC, then you can try the following suggestions:
- Try Downloading the Game Again
- Provide Administrative Privileges to Origin
- Check Origin Server Status
- Change Origin Compatibility Mode
- Allow the Origin Client through Windows Firewall
- Uninstall the 3rd Party Antivirus Program
- Clear the Temp Folder
- Turn Off Origin Client Service
- Perform SFC Scan
Now, let’s check out all these solutions in detail.
1] Try Downloading the Game Again
Before getting into the technical workarounds, the very first thing that you should do is to try redownloading the game. It can be a temporary error which is continuously stopping the download. So, delete the ongoing downloading process, and redownload the game. If this solves the problem, you are good to go. But in case, the problem continues, check out the below technical solutions.
2] Provide Administrative Privileges to Origin
Origin is one such application that requires administrative privileges to run without any issue. Although it will run even without administrative rights, but you will always be prone to different issues. Therefore, make sure you have granted all the administrative rights to origin. To do so, follow the below steps.
- Right-click on the Origin shortcut icon and choose the Properties option.
- Click on the Compatibility tab.
- In the following window, checkmark the Run this program as an administrator option.
- Click on Apply > OK.
Launch the Origin client, and try to download any game. Check if the problem is fixed or not.
3] Check Origin Server Status
Like any other application, Origin servers can go down any time due to some technical difficulties. If that’s the case, it’s no surprise you are having a hard time downloading games on Origin. The only good thing is that you are not only the one facing the problem. You can check the Origin server status by visiting any of the server statuses checking websites. Additionally, you can visit Origin social sites like Twitter and check if there’s an ongoing issue with the platform.
Unfortunately, if the servers are down, you can’t do anything other than wait until the developers resolve the issue.
4] Change Origin Compatibility Mode
The next thing you can try to fix the downloading issue of Origin is to run the client in compatibility mode. However, this process is only effective if you are encountering a problem with Windows 11. Here are the steps you need to follow.
- To begin with, close the Origin window, and make sure it’s not even running in the background.
- Now, right-click on the Origin shortcut and choose the Properties option.
- Click on the Compatibility tab.
- Checkmark the Run this program in compatibility mode for option.
- Click on the dropdown icon and choose Windows 8.
- Tap on Apply > OK.
Check if the downloading issue is fixed or not.
5] Allow the Origin Client through Windows Firewall
Windows Firewall is one of the most important features of Windows OS that helps the system stay protected from malicious files and activities. But at the same time, if any application is restricted under Firewall settings, it will provide different errors. So, here’s how you can allow the Origin Client through Windows Firewall settings.
- Click ‘Start’ and type ‘Firewall’ in the search field and then click “Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall’ from the search results.
- On the next screen, click Change Settings
- On the list of programs that appears, tick/check both ‘Private’ and ‘Public’ options for the Origin Client.
Now, restart the Origin client and check if the problem is fixed or not.
6] Uninstall the 3rd Party Antivirus Program
Many third-party antivirus programs can block the smooth functioning of different application including Origin. Although it’s not important to have a dedicated antivirus program on Windows 11, still if you have any, it can be the main reason you are facing problems with the origin downloads. So, disable the antivirus program while downloading games from Origin and check if the problem is fixed or not. If not, try the next solution.
7] Clear the Temp Folder
Temporary files are created by both operating systems and different applications including Origin. You can delete such files in order to free up large space and solve different issues revolving around your system. So, here are the steps you need to follow.
- Press the Windows + I shortcut key to open the Settings menu.
- Navigate to System > Storage.
- Click on Temporary files.
- Checkmark all the boxes, and tap the Remove files option.
Now, launch Origin and check if the problem is fixed or not.
8] Turn Off Origin Client Service
The next solution you can try is to disable the Origin client via the service screen. To do so, follow the below steps.
- Press the Ctrl+ Shift + Esc shortcut key to open the Task Manager.
- Click on the Services tab.
- Locate Origin Client Service.
- Right-click on the option and choose Stop from the context menu.
That’s it. Launch the Origin client, check if the problem continues.
9] Perform SFC Scan
Corrupted system files can also be the reason causing the mentioned issue. And the best way to get rid of such files is to perform an SFC scan. You can do so by following the below steps.
Open Command Prompt in administrator mode.
Type the below-mentioned command in the press the enter key.
The SFC utility will run for a while and if any corruption is found it will replace it on reboot.
Why do downloads keep stopping on Origin?
The main reason why Origin keeps pausing downloads is that you haven’t provided the administrator rights. Along with this, corrupted windows files, a huge amount of temp data, windows firewall, to third-party antivirus programs, anything can trigger the issue. It’s very easy to troubleshoot these problems.
How do I fix download speed on Origin?
There are multiple ways to fix slow download speed on origin. You can perform a power cycle on your router, run origin as an administrator, restart Origin in R & D mode, delete the Origin cache file, and troubleshoot the system in clean boot to fix the problem. If none of these steps work, you can reinstall Origin to fix the downloading speed issue.