Xbox has multiplayer gaming capabilities and party chats. You can host or join a multiplayer gaming session or join a party chat. To do that, you need to have an Open NAT type to avoid any issues that occur while joining them. An Open NAT is available through Public IP address assigned by your ISP. You can enable it by turning on UPnP in the router’s settings if you have a Public IP address. Some users are seeing errors like NAT Type: Unavailable, Can’t get a Teredo IP address, and error code 0x89231906 on their Xbox consoles while trying to join a party chat session, or testing the multiplayer connection. In this guide, we have a few fixes that can help you fix them.
NAT Type: Unavailable, Can’t get a Teredo IP address, error code 0x89231906
If you are seeing the following errors on your Xbox console,
- NAT Type: Unavailable in the Network settings of your console
- Can’t get a Teredo IP address when you select Test multiplayer connection in Network Settings
- Error code 0x89231806 while you are joining a party chat session
You can follow the methods mentioned below to fix these issues.
- Enable Teredo connectivity and IPv6
- Turn on UPnP
- Open network ports
- Reset your router to factory defaults
Let’s get into the details of each method and fix the issues.
1] Enable Teredo connectivity and IPv6
Teredo networking protocol helps to establish a secure connection between clients and servers. You need to have Teredo connectivity enabled before you join a party chat on Xbox. Your console needs to obtain the Teredo IP address while establishing a connection when you try to join party chats or multiplayer gaming sessions.
To enable Teredo Connectivity,
- Log in to your router configuration page using the address and login credentials provided by the router’s manufacturer.
- Then, go to the IPv6 settings page in the router configuration.
- You will see Allow Teredo tunneling and Allow IPv6 tunneling options there. Enable them by checking the boxes beside them. Save the changes and restart your router.
This should fix your error when you are trying to Test the multiplayer connection.
2] Turn on UPnP
Turning on UPnP fixes the NAT errors by changing the NAT type to Open NAT. It is done in the settings of your router.
To turn on UPnP on your router,
- Log in to your router on a web browser using the address and credentials provided with the router.
- Then, go to Advanced settings and select Advanced Setup of your router.
- You will see Turn on UPnP there which is enabled by default. Check the box beside it to turn it off. Then, save the changes, restart your router, and then your console.
- Now, go back to the Advanced setup of your router and check the box beside Turn on UPnP to enable it again. Save the changes and restart your router. Then, power cycle your router and Xbox console by disconnecting the cables for a few seconds and reconnecting them.
That’s it. It should fix the errors you are facing with NAT type and errors while joining party chat or multiplayer games.
3] Open network ports
You need to open certain ports on your router or gateway to fix the NAT type or Teredo issues. It is a simple process that can be done by logging into the router configuration page. Go to the Port forwarding page and open the following ports and save them. Then, restart your router to confirm them.
- Port 88 (UDP)
- Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
- Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
- Port 80 (TCP)
- Port 500 (UDP)
- Port 3544 (UDP)
- Port UDP 4500 (UDP)
4] Reset your router to factory defaults
If none of the above methods work, you need to reset your router to factory defaults by plugging in a paper clip in the reset hole or by pressing the reset button for 10 to 30 seconds. You need to hold that until you see the lights blink on the router.
These are the different ways using which you can fix errors like NAT type: Unavailable, Can’t get Teredo IP address, or error code 0x89231906 on your Xbox console.
How do I fix my Teredo NAT type?
You can fix it by enabling the Teredo connectivity and IPv6 on your router. To do that you need to log in to your router’s configuration page on a web browser using the address and credentials provided by the manufacturer of your router. Then, on the IPv6 Settings page, enable Teredo as well as IPv6 and save them.
Why does my NAT type say unavailable?
It means that your Xbox console cannot connect to other users through the Xbox network server to join a party chat or a multiplayer game. You need to fix it by restarting your router and Xbox console, or by turning on UPnP.
Related read: Fix NAT errors and multiplayer game issues on Xbox.