Microsoft Planner is an efficient tool by Microsoft that lets you organize teamwork with intuitive, collaborative, visual task management. Planner sends email and pushes notifications for a variety of reasons; for example, task reminder, due date reminder, assignment of a new task, and so on. It is possible to direct these notifications to Outlook and Microsoft Teams so that you can collaborate with your teams. However, Microsoft Planner notifications are not working for some. Read further to know how to resolve this issue, if you are also facing the same.
Microsoft has developed its tools in such a way that they can collaborate. For example, Microsoft Planner can send notifications when someone assigns a task to the user to Outlook, Teams, and also as a mobile push notification. The Planner also sends notifications to the email when an assigned task is late, due today, or due in the next 7 days. However, due to some issues, users may not get these notifications. Here are some possible reasons for the same.
- Planner not installed correctly in Teams
- ‘Send notifications’ option is not checked
- Email setting is not enabled
- User not assigned to a Group or Plan
- The user is the owner of the Plan
Let us look at these reasons in more detail and also the solutions for the error of Microsoft Planner notifications not working.
Microsoft Planner notifications not working
Following are some solutions that may help you to resolve the issue.
- Turn on the Planner assignment notifications in Teams
- Check the ‘Send notifications’ option
- Enable the Email settings
- Make sure that you are assigned to a Group or Plan
- The user is the owner of the Plan
Read further to know how to implement these solutions:
1] Turn on the Planner assignment notifications in Teams
If you are using Teams and not getting notifications, then the best way to resolve this issue is to install Planner on Teams. Then turn on turn on the Planner assignment notifications in Teams
Follow the next steps of this solution.
- Install the Planner on Teams and make sure your plan has a tab in Teams.
- To turn on the Planner assignment notifications in Teams, go to Planner for web
- Select Settings, and then under Planner, select Notifications.
- Now check the box in front of the ‘Someone assigns a task to me’ option.
After this, Planner notifications should appear at the following locations:
- In the Teams Activity feed.
- In a chat with the Planner app. The chat also records your past assignment cards.
The notifications include the task title, the name of the person who assigned you the task, the plan the task belongs to, and a link to open the task details in Teams.
Please note that in Planner, if you assign a task to yourself, you cannot receive the notification. You can receive notifications only when someone else assigns a task to you.
2] Check the ‘Send notifications’ option
By default, Plans are created with the Send notifications options about task assignments. When the task is completed notification is sent on the Plan’s conversation feed. If these options are disabled, you will not receive e-mails when a task is assigned or completed.
Hence to fix this issue, simply go to Notifications settings. Now check the boxes in front of the two options of notifications as seen in the above image.
This should resolve the issue of Microsoft Planner notifications not working.
3] Enable the Email settings
If a Plan is being created for a group, then the user can check if the email settings are enabled for the Plan.
- For this, go to Plan settings.
- Now go to Group email settings
- Check the box that says, Send email to the group when a task is assigned or completed.
Note that this setting is possible only for the group owners.
Hence, in case you are part of a group, and not receiving the Planner notifications, then you would need to ask the group owner to check these settings.
4] Make sure that you are assigned to a Group or Plan
The above point gives rise to yet another possible reason and it is that you are not assigned to a Group or a Plan.
The Group/Plan owner may not have assigned you to a particular Group or a Plan. In such case, you will not receive any notifications regarding the task assigned within this Group or Plan. Hence, you need to ask the Group or Plan owner, if you have been assigned to the Group/Plan.
5] The user is the owner of the Plan
If you are the owner of a Plan, then you will not get notifications for the tasks assigned to you by yourself. You can only get notifications for the tasks assigned to you by someone else. Hence, check if you have assigned that task to yourself.
There may be several reasons for Microsoft Planner notifications not working. Try the solutions mentioned above and let us know if they are working for you.
Credit: The images in this post have been sourced from Microsoft.com.
How to set up notifications on Microsoft planner?
For this, you need to manage Planner notifications.
- First, select the Settings button near the top right of the screen, and then select Notifications.
- Now in the Notifications dialog box, check the boxes in front of the following options:
- Someone assigns a task to me (Email, Teams, and Mobile Push)
- A task assigned to me is late, due today, due in next 7 days (Email only)
- Now click on Save.
You can uncheck the same boxes for turning off the notifications
Can I sync Microsoft planner with Outlook tasks?
Yes, it is possible. You can synchronize the tasks in Microsoft Planner with Outlook calendars. When you subscribe to Office 365, the Outlook calendar is synchronized automatically for all Office 365 tenants that have Planner as part of their subscription.