Microsoft Edge is probably the best Chromium-based browser that is available, without the extra baggage that some others may carry. It is also known to consume less power as compared to Chrome. But if you want to remove it from your PC for some reason, here are the different methods to uninstall Microsoft Edge Chromium Browser.
How to uninstall Edge in Windows 10
You can use any of the methods to uninstall or remove Edge completely from Windows 10. An admin should uninstall it if it was installed by him or her.
- Standard Uninstall Method
- Programs and Features
- Via File Explorer
- PowerShell Command
- Using Command Prompt.
You can always reinstall from the Microsoft Edge website if you change your mind. Also, make sure to sign out of your Microsoft account before uninstalling the browser.
UPDATE: Before you proceed, you should know that the new Microsoft Edge Chromium browser installed via Windows Update does not offer you the option to uninstall it via the UI. So maybe the 3rd or 4th methods may help you.
Microsoft Edge is the web browser recommended by Microsoft and is the default web browser for Windows. Because Windows supports applications that rely on the web platform, our default web browser is an essential component of our operating system and can’t be uninstalled.
The new version of Microsoft Edge gives users full control over importing personal data from the legacy version of Microsoft Edge. The new version of Microsoft Edge is included in a Windows system update, so the option to uninstall it or use the legacy version of Microsoft Edge will no longer be available.
1] Uninstall Microsoft Edge Chromium Browser via Start Menu
- Click on the Start Menu, and type “Microsoft Edge” in the search box
- Once you see Microsoft Edge (green icon) in the result, right-click on it
- Choose Uninstall from the menu option, and let the uninstaller get the job done
The same option is available on the right side section of the Start menu, where it shows a quick option. You may have to expand it to reveal all the options, including Run as an administrator, open file location, and so on.
2] Remove Microsoft Edge using Control Panel
- Type “Control” in the Run prompt (Win + R) and press the enter key
- It will open the classic Control Panel. Locate Programs or Programs and Features based on the view
- Click on Uninstall a program to reveal the list of programs installed on the computer
- Sort the list by name, and locate Microsoft Edge
- Select it, and click on Uninstall button
Once the process is complete, all the files will be removed.
3] Via File Explorer
Open File Explorer and navigate to the following path:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\84.0.522.59\Installer
Here the number ‘84.0.522.59’ may vary in your case.
Click open the Installer folder.
Now click on the File tab and select Open Windows PowerShell as administrator. Now execute the following command.
.\setup.exe -uninstall -system-level -verbose-logging -force-uninstall
The Edge browser should get uninstalled.
4] Uninstall Edge browser using PowerShell Command
You can use PowerShell Get package command to uninstall apps. Follow the steps as below
- Type PowerShell in the Run (Win+R) prompt and press the Enter key
- Execute the following command
Get-AppxPackage | Select Name, PackageFullName
- Locate Microsoft Edge and its package name. It should be similar to what is mentioned below.
- On the list, locate Microsoft Edge and its package name. It should be similar to what is mentioned below.
- Now execute the following command to remove Edge from Windows.
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_44.18362.449.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe | Remove-AppxPackage
Once the process is complete, it will uninstall Microsoft Edge from Windows for all the users. If you only want to uninstall for your account, you can skip the -allusers switch in the above command.
5] Using Command Prompt
Open an elevated CMD window.
Copy and paste the following command and press Enter one by one.
cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\84.0.522.63\Installer setup.exe –uninstall –system-level –verbose-logging –force-uninstall
Here 84.0.522.63 should be the version number on your PC.
I hope the post was easy to follow, and you were able to remove Microsoft Edge Chromium from Windows 10 PC.
Make sure to remove all the browsing history from Microsoft online account if you do not wish to use it in the future.
- Tags: Edge