Microsoft OneNote comes with an interesting feature that lets you create Outlook tasks. By using this feature, you can plan your projects and manage deadlines easily. Moreover, you can also view and manage the OneNote tasks in Outlook and even get reminders for the same. In this article, we will explain how to create Outlook tasks in OneNote.
Does OneNote for Windows 10 have Outlook tasks?
For now, the Outlook tasks option is not available in OneNote for Windows 10 app. Microsoft may include this feature in OneNote for Windows 10 in the future; till then you have to use the OneNote desktop app to create Outlook tasks.
How do I link Outlook to OneNote?
By default, OneNote is integrated with Outlook. This means that you can take notes from Outlook directly to OneNote. You can also view the schedule of all the meetings in OneNote. The changes that you make in Outlook will automatically be reflected in OneNote for the synced items like tasks, meetings, etc.
Apart from this, if you want to send an Outlook email to OneNote, you can do this simply by clicking on the “Send to OneNote” button on the Outlook ribbon. If the “Send to OneNote” button is not available in Outlook, you have to enable an Add-in, named “OneNote notes about Outlook items.”
To enable this Add-in, follow the steps below:
- Launch Outlook.
- Go to “Home > Options.”
- Click Add-ins on the left side. After that, you will see all active, inactive, and disabled add-ins in Outlook.
- If you find the “OneNote notes about Outlook items” add-in in the disabled add-ins list, click on the Manage drop-down menu at the bottom and select Disabled Items and click on the Go button. After that, select the add-in and click on the Enable button.
- Restart Outlook.
View or add Outlook meetings to OneNote Desktop app
If you want to view or add Outlook meetings to OneNote, you have to follow the below-listed steps:
- Launch OneNote desktop app.
- Go to “Home > Meetings Details.” OneNote will show you all the scheduled meetings for the present day.
- If you want to view meetings for another day, click on the Choose a meeting from another day option under the Meeting Details. Click on the Calendar icon and select the date on which you have a scheduled meeting.
- Click on the Meeting from the list and then select the Insert Details button.
- This will add the meeting to the OneNote desktop app.
View or add Outlook meetings to OneNote for Windows 10 app
The following steps will help you view or add Outlook meetings in OneNote for Windows 10 app:
- Launch OneNote for Windows 10.
- Open a notebook.
- Go to “Insert > Meeting Details.” This will show all the meetings for the present day on the right pane.
- If you want to view meetings scheduled for another day, click on the Today’s meeting drop-down menu and select the date from the Calendar.
- Click on the meeting to add it to OneNote for Windows 10.
Send an Outlook email to OneNote
You can also send a particular email or selected emails from Outlook to OneNote desktop app and OneNote for Windows 10. For this, you simply have to select the emails in Outlook and click on the Send to OneNote button. After that, a window will appear on your screen asking you to select the notebook in OneNote to send the email.
The sent emails will be available in both OneNote desktop app and OneNote for Windows 10, but it will work only if all the apps (Outlook, OneNote desktop app, and OneNote for Windows 10) are connected with or synced to one another. To view the emails in OneNote desktop app and OneNote for Windows 10 app, you have to open the notebook that you have selected in Outlook as a destination to receive the email.
Both OneNote and Outlook start connecting to or syncing with each another automatically when you launch them. It takes some time to sync after you launch these apps on your computer. That’s why OneNote takes some time to display the synced results.
How to create Outlook tasks in OneNote
We have listed the steps to create Outlook tasks in OneNote below. All these steps are applicable to OneNote 2016 and other versions like OneNote 2013, 2010, 2007, etc.
- Launch OneNote application.
- Open your Notebook in OneNote.
- Select the words for which you want to create a task.
- Go to “Home > Outlook Tasks“
- Select a due date for the task.
Here, we have explained the procedure to create Outlook tasks in OneNote 2016 application. If you are using another version of OneNote, the steps may differ slightly due to the interface.
Launch OneNote and open your notebook.
Now, select the words for which you want to create an Outlook task.
After selecting the words, click on the Home tab and then click on the Outlook Tasks drop-down arrow. This drop-down menu has a Flag icon so that you can easily identify it. There, you will find several options to create a task.
You can create a task for:
- Same day
- Same week
- Next day
- Next week
- Custom date
When you select an option, you will see a little flag appear on the left side of the selected words in OneNote. If you want to create a task for a custom date, you have to select the Custom option.
When you select the Custom option, a new window will open where you have to enter a custom date for your Outlook task. You can also set a reminder for the task by clicking on the Reminder checkbox. When you are done, click on the Save & Exit button.
How to open OneNote tasks in Outlook
You can open the OneNote tasks in Outlook in the following two ways:
- From the OneNote application.
- From the Outlook application.
1] Open OneNote tasks in Outlook directly from the OneNote application
To open the OneNote tasks in Outlook, follow the below-listed steps:
- Open OneNote application.
- Select the task that you want to open in Outlook.
- Go to “Home > Outlook Tasks” and click on the Open Task in Outlook option.
Tip: Do you know you can recover your deleted OneNote notes on Windows 10?
2] Open OneNote tasks by using the Outlook app
To open OneNote tasks in Outlook by using the Outlook app, follow the below-listed steps:
- Open the Outlook app on your system.
- Click on the My Tasks button. In Outlook 2016, it is present at the bottom left side. Its location may vary in different versions of the Outlook desktop app.
Here, you will see all the tasks created in the OneNote application along with the date and time.
How to edit Outlook tasks created in OneNote
You have to use the Outlook app to edit the tasks created in OneNote. For this, open the Outlook application and click My Tasks. Now, double-click on the task that you want to edit. It will open a new window, where you can edit the start date and the due date. You can also turn the reminder On and Off. Apart from that, you can also select the status of the task as not started, in progress, completed, etc.
After editing the task, click Save & Exit. All the changes that you make in the task(s) in Outlook will be updated in OneNote automatically. If you do not see any changes in OneNote, close it and open it again. When you relaunch OneNote, you will see that all the changes are updated.
Do note that OneNote takes some time to retrieve the data from Outlook. Hence, you have to wait for some time to see the updated tasks in OneNote.
How to mark an Outlook task as complete and delete it in OneNote
To mark a task as complete in OneNote, click on the flag adjacent to it. When you click on the flag, it will turn into a green tick which indicates that the particular task has been completed. The completed tasks will automatically be deleted from the Outlook application.
To delete a task in OneNote, select it and then go to “Home > Outlook Task > Delete Outlook Task.”