Colors make things look beautiful. Do you know that you can add colors to your boring white and blue documents too? By adding the colors, theme, and fonts you can customize your document and make it look modern and more personalized. Windows comes with some pre-defined themes for Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint but you can always create your own customized themes and save it on your PC.
Change document theme colors in Word or Excel
You can select or create a uniform theme for all your documents like a Word document, Excel sheet, and your PowerPoint presentation. In this post, we will learn how to-
- Change the look of your document
- Customize a document theme
- Customize the document fonts
- Save a document theme
1] Change the look of your document
Apply a theme
MS Word has its default theme set but you can change it anytime. There is a set of pre-defined themes where you can select your preferred theme and apply the changes.
- If you want to change the theme on Excel, go to the Page Layout tab > Themes Themes. If you want to change the theme on MS Word, click on the Design tabà Themes.
- Select your preferred theme and apply. Each theme has its own unique set of colors, fonts, and effects. Just hover over the themes and you can see the preview on your document. Select the one which you like the most.
- If at any point of time, you don’t like the selected theme and its colors or fonts, you can go back to the default theme just by clicking on “Reset to theme from template”.
The templates are shown on the menu ribbon.
If you don’t like any of the pre-defined themes, you can customize the given themes and save it as your own theme on your PC.
2] Customize the theme
Select any predefined theme, and change the colors, fonts, and effects from the main Toolbar.
Select the colors, fonts, and effects of your choice and save the theme as your own theme. You can name it anything as per your convenience.
To change the colors, click on Colors from the Ribbon and then click on the Customize Colors. A new pop-up will open and here you can change the color of the font, accent, hyperlink, followed hyperlink, and text background.
To change the fonts, click on Fonts on the Ribbon and click on Customize Fonts. Here you can change the Heading fonts and the body fonts. Select as per your choice and click on Save.
To change the effects, click on Effects on the Ribbon and click on Customize Effects. Select the preferred one and you are done.
Furthermore, you can also change the Page Color, Page Border and Watermark from the Ribbon itself.
Create as many themes with different color choices as you want and you can then try them on your documents.
All your custom document themes are saved in the Document Themes folder and are automatically added to the list of custom themes. You can use those themes whenever you want.