We hardly use CDs and DVDs anymore on our Windows 11/10 PCs, but they are still one of the simple and best storage devices. A DVD, a short form of Digital Versatile Disc stores your data in the binary format which is then converted into its original form using the conversion algorithm. A DVD is a writable disc, so you can copy your files to it to store, this is termed burning a DVD.
How to burn DVD on Windows 11 PC
Do you know you can easily burn DVDs using your Windows PC? It hardly takes any time to burn a DVD using your PC, let’s see how. Remember that you can burn a CD or a DVD only if your laptop or desktop has the DVD Drive in it. Also, please note, that not all the CDs and DVDs are writable, there are 6 different types of DVDs and each one has its own properties.
- DVD Media- DVD, this digital versatile disk is more like a CD where you can only read the data. You cannot copy any data on a DVD Media.
- DVD+R- This DVD is recordable which means you can copy any of your data to this DVD but it will then be permanently stored here. You can neither delete this data nor you can overwrite it.
- DVD+RW- This disk is erasable. You can erase one data from a DVD+RW and copy another data. You can erase and then record it again multiple times.
Burn DVD Using File Explorer
You can easily burn a DVD using the File Explorer on your Windows PC.
- Insert a black DVD into your DVD Drive.
- Open the Files Explorer and locate the files you want to copy to this disc or say, burn on the disc.
- If you are copying multiple files, select them all using the Shift key on your keyboard.
- Right-click and click on Show more options.
- Go to Send To and select DVD Drive.
- This will open a new pop-up window asking for the Disc Title and how you want your PC to burn this disc- using a USB flash drive or with a DVD player.
- Go for the option you find the best and click on Next.
- This will open the File Explorer again with a notification, “Files Ready to Be Written to the Disc”.
- Drag and drop the files you want to burn.
- Go to the Drive Tools option in the main ribbon and click on Finish burning.
- You will again get a pop-up window asking for the recording speed and disc title. Fill in the options and click on Next.
Burn DVD on Windows PC using Windows Media Player
Windows Media Player is another way to burn your DVDs. Windows Media Player can burn Audio CD, Data CD, and DVD. To open Windows Media Player on your Windows 11 PC, open the Search box and type WMP, you will see the app. Click on Open.
- Once the Windows Media Player is open, click on the Burn tab placed at the top right corner.
- Do not forget to insert a black CD into your DVD drive first.
- Click on the tiny arrow beside and select the options from the menu- Audio CD, Data CD, or a DVD.
- Here, you can also select if you want the disc to Eject automatically after burning.
- Drag and drop the files you want to burn in the right panel and click on the button Start Burning.
If you have selected the option Eject disc after burning, your disc will automatically eject once the burning is done, which means, once all the files are copied to the disc.
Does Windows 11 have built-in DVD burning software?
Yes, Windows 11 has the built-in DVD burning tool like its other versions. You will need a supported disc to burn on your PC. You can burn a DVD via File Explorer or by using Windows Media Player.
Can I burn a DVD with VLC Media Player?
Yes, you can burn a DVD using VLC Media Player but the program isn’t capable of converting video files into a DVD format. You will need to use some third-party software for the same.
Read: Burn to disc is grayed out; Can’t burn DVD in Windows 11/10.