Hindi typing is something which was always a mode of confusion for me. Being an Indian I often need to use the Hindi typing, may it be for some kind of school projects for my kids or designing some event invitation or anything else. HindiWriter is the free Hindi writing software, which solved my problem completely.
What is HindiWriter
HindiWriter is a freeware which allows you to type in the Hindi language without installing new fonts or memorizing a special Hindi keyboard layout. This software uses the Indic language fonts which come pre-installed with the Windows PCs. You just need to download and install the freeware on your Windows PC, and it converts your English words to Hindi with just a few clicks.
It is a compact and useful freeware with the advanced utility to translate the English language to the equivalent Hindi words. With a user-friendly interface, this program is very easy to use. The program uses a “phonetic” scheme of Hindi typing, which actually means that you have to type the word in English on your keyboard according to the phonetic sound of the word in Hindi. For example, if you want to type ‘bharat’ in Hindi; you have to type ‘bharat’ on your English keyboard.
HindiWriter not just help you typing in Hindi, but also provides the Spell Check and Auto Word Lookup. The program works on the iTrance scheme of translation to translate your English words to corresponding Hindi words. HindiWriter includes the feature of ‘Find, ‘ but I missed the SpellCheck options which is often available in every grammar checking software.
HindiWriter supports various applications in Windows PC which include:
- Microsoft Office
- Internet Explorer
- Mozilla Firefox
- Google Chrome
- Yahoo /Microsoft Messenger
- Email services
How to use Hindi Writer
- Download and install the program on your system.
- Open the application you want to use HindiWriter in. Let’s take WordPad as an example here.
- Launch WordPad, double-click on the HindiWriter icon and press Shift (hold the key) and press Pause Break key on your keyboard.
- When you start HindiWriter, you will notice an icon in your taskbar notification area.
- The program will now convert your English words to Hindi as you type. It has its own HindiWriter keyboard map which you can see just by clicking on the ‘question mark’ on the bottom right of your window.
- Press Shift+PauseBreak again to go back to English.
You can check for the updates by right-clicking on the icon and clicking “Check for Updates…” from the menu. HindiWriter also includes Spell Check, but it works only on Office XP.
You can download HindiWriter here.