Sandboxie is great program designed for the Windows operating system for protecting the computer from any malicious program and prevent them from making changes to the system files. The application allows user to run programs like browser, PDF, Word, Excel or any other application in a Sandbox environment.
Sandboxie helps user to protect their computer from malicious software, rogue programs, Trojan, spyware, worms, viruses and any threat that can damage the machine. Sandboxie act as a firewall in between your computer and the program you are currently using it as threats gets downloaded when you are online.
Sandboxie for Windows
How Sandboxie works
Sandboxing is a method of preventing any permanent damage to your system caused by malware, by denying them access to you real system by having the Sandbox pretend to be the real operating system. Sandboxie is somewhat different from the usual sandbox program since it does not virtualize everything. It virtualizes only the resources that are requested by the programs running inside the sandbox – like Files, Disk Devices, Registry Keys, Process and Thread objects, Driver objects, and objects used for Inter-process communication such as Named Pipes and Mailbox Objects, Events, Mutexs , Semaphores, Sections and LPC Ports. You can read more about Sandboxie and Sandboxing.
When you launch the application, it creates an isolated space and prevents programs to make permanent changes in the computer.
User can configure Sandboxie application according to their requirement and can run multiple applications in a single Sandboxie program. Threats ranging from botnets to banking Trojans that are very destructive in nature and some ransomware are considered as the biggest threat for security conscious computer user.
How to use Sandboxie
- Download Sandboxie and run the setup.exe file to install the application, the setup.exe will download few more files to complete the installation once done a Sandboxie Control window will pop up on the screen.
- Right click on the Sandbox Default Box to launch the program in Sandboxie.
- You can go into All Programs, click on Sandboxie and make a shortcut on the desktop from “Run web browser sandboxed” or pin it to the Start screen or Start menu, Quick launch or Taskbar.
You can get tips on how to use Sandboxie here.
Why consider Sandboxie
- Secure Web browsing: Allows user to surf web in Sandbox environment hence blocks any malicious program to get downloaded when you are online.
- Provides Protective Shield over Email: We receive numerous emails in a day many are spam, few are useful those mails contains attachment which might contains virus or malicious software. Sandboxie application prevents those file to get downloaded on the computer and infect the computer
- Provides Enhanced Privacy: When we surf, all information like web cookies, browser cache are stored on the computer which can be easily seen by hackers, so when the web-browser runs in Sandbox environment it saves those data inside the application itself hence prevent those cache files to get downloaded on the machine.
- Prevention from Wear and Tear: As Sandboxie runs application in a shield hence it prevents malicious program to get installed on the computer.
For Windows XP user, SandBoxie is a must-have program as Microsoft has already stopped providing security patches, hence it allows hackers to easily break into the computer. SandBoxie can be installed on Windows XP SP3 and higher and is available in Free and Pro version.