If Outlook throws up a message that The custom dictionary is not available to be updated when you try to add words to the custom dictionary, then this post will help you.
The custom dictionary is not available to be updated. Some additions to it may be lost.
Fix Custom Dictionary is not available in Outlook
The following solutions may help you fix this issue:
- Set Custom.dic in Outlook as default.
- Sign out from and sign back into your Outlook account.
1] Set Custom.dic in Outlook as default
Many users have reported that the issue was fixed when they set the Custom.dic as a default dictionary in Outlook. You can also try to set it as a default dictionary.
Follow the instructions listed below:
- Launch Microsoft Outlook.
- Click on the File and then click Options. This will open the Outlook Options window.
- Now, select Mail from the left side and click on the “Spelling and Autocorrect” button on the right side.
- You will find this button under the Compose messages section.
- In the Editor Options window, select Proofing from the left side and then click on the Custom Dictionaries button on the right side.
- In the Custom Dictionaries window, you will find the RoamingCustom.dic as a default dictionary.
- You have to change the custom dictionary from RoamingCustom.dic to CUSTOM.DIC.
- For this, select CUSTOM.DIC and click on the Change Default button on the right side.
- Click on the Dictionary language drop-down menu and select the language that you have set as default in your system.
- When you are done, click OK to save the changes.
2] Sign out and sign back in
If the above method did not fix the issue, sign out of your Outlook account and sign back in. Some Windows users were able to fix the issue by using this method.
To sign out from the Microsoft Outlook app, click on the File and then click Sign out. Now close Outlook and launch it again. You will be prompted to sign in. Enter your account details and sign back in.
This should help.