As a single machine is sometimes shared between multiple users, there exists a built-in Firefox User Profile Manager that helps you create multiple profiles. All your personal information pertaining to the browser such as bookmarks, history, cookies can be stored under this one ‘Profile’ in the Firefox browser. So, let us see how to create & manage the user profile in the Firefox browser.
Create multiple user profiles with Firefox User Profile Manager
The profile you create with the User Profile Manager is stored in a separate location from the Firefox program files. Each of these profiles stores a separate set of user information and allows you to remove, rename, and switch profiles when needed.
- Launch the Firefox browser.
- Type about:profiles into the address bar and press Enter.
- Allow the About Profiles page to load.
- Create a new profile.
- Add a name for the profile.
- Choose a folder if you wish to store the profile on your computer.
- Manage profiles by renaming or removing it.
Let’s cover the process in a bit more detail.
Type about:profiles into the address bar and press the Enter key. This will open the About Profiles page.
To create a new, additional profile, click Create Profile button to start the Create Profile Wizard.
Assign a name to the profile. It’s essential that you select a name that is descriptive, such as your personal name.
Choose a folder if you wish to store the profile on your computer. Else, disregard the prompt. Also note, if you want to select your own folder location for the profile, choose an empty folder. Because, if you decide to store the information in a folder that isn’t empty and later try to remove the profile using ‘Delete Files’ option, everything inside that folder will be deleted.
Similarly, if you would like to rename the folder, select the profile to rename, and hit the Rename Profile button.
Enter a new name and click OK.
Lastly, you can remove an existing profile as follows,
In the Profile Manager, select the profile to remove, and hit the Delete Profile option.
When prompted, confirm to remove the profile by using any one of the following options.
- Don’t Delete Files – It removes the profile from the Profile Manager yet keeps the profile data files on your computer in the storage folder.
- Delete Files – As the name suggests, this option completely removes the profile and its files, including the profile bookmarks, settings, passwords, etc.
Hope it helps!