In this article, we will discuss how you can find the IP address of a website by executing a few simple commands via the Command Prompt on Windows 11/10. IP Address stands for the Internet Protocol Address. The purpose of an IP address, among other things, is to provide information about the location of a device that is hosted on the Internet. It is a unique number that is attached to every computational demand that is used to transfer information from one point to another over the web. If you ever find yourself in a situation where you have to quickly retrieve the IP address of a website, then this guide will help you.
How to find the IP address of a website using Command Prompt
There are three commands you can use to find out what the IP address of a website is, and they’re all easy to use. Let’s see what you’re required to do:
- Find the IP address using the ping command
- Find the IP address using the nslookup command
- Find the IP address using the Tracert Command
1] Find the IP address using the ping command
The “ping” command makes it easy to, not only find out a website’s IP address, but also other relevant information about its server.
- Click on the Search icon from the Taskbar and search for “Command Prompt”. Select the Run as administrator option
- In the resultant Command prompt window, type “ping YourWebsiteName,” where you’re supposed to follow ping with the URL of the website of which you want to find the IP address. For example
- Press Enter
Once the command is run through completely, it will display some relevant statistics about the website, which will be addressed as its IP address, like round-trip times and packets sent and received.
2] Find the IP address using the nslookup command
Executing the nslookup command on Command Prompt is as easy as it was with the ping command. Although it doesn’t provide you with as much intel as the former does, it’s executed quicker. Therefore, when your sole purpose is to get the IP address, then the nslookup command should be preferred.
- Open Command Prompt as an administrator by searching for it from the Search icon
- Type “nslookup YourWebsiteName” and press enter. For example:
- Press Enter, and within a few seconds, the website’s IP address will flash on the screen
There is a possibility, however, that this command might not work for some websites. This is because it works only when the IP address owner has inserted a PTR record in the DNS.
3] Find the IP address using the Tracert Command
Thirdly, you can make use of the Tracert command. The unique thing about this command is that it doesn’t ping the web address, but instead shows you the fastest connection speed between servers/connections.
- Search for Command Prompt from the search prompt on the Taskbar
- Type “tracert YourWebsiteName” and press Enter
- Wait till all the connection routes are processed
You can find the website’s IP address next to the “tracing route to:”. If you want to further trace the IP address, to see where the signal originates from, you can use websites like ipaddress.com.
How to find the IP address of a website online?
If you don’t want to deal with executable commands, then you can make use of online tools like Global DNS checker to do the needful.
- Visit the DNS Checker website
- Enter the domain’s name in the domain field
- Select A in the Record Type list and click on Search
What is nslookup command in cmd?
The purpose of the nslookup command is to query internet domain name servers in two modes; interactive and noninteractive mode. The interactive mode allows you to survey name servers for information about various hosts and domains, whereas, in the noninteractive mode, the information is limited to a specified host or domain.
What is Whois command?
The whois or usr commands searches a user name directory and display information about the user ID or nickname. Much like the methods discussed above, the Whois command is also used to find Domain and IP Address information.
We hope that you find this article helpful.