Many Windows users, when unable to access one or multiple shared connections or folders across the local network, try running Windows Network Diagnostics Troubleshooter to understand the problem. They may end up seeing an error stating File and Print sharing resource is online but isn’t responding to connection attempts. While this error is seen in the tool, in most cases, the users report that they can view the files over the shared local network. However, they are not able to access the local network. Hence, it is important for you as users to understand the reasons behind this error and the ways to fix this error.
File and Print sharing resource is online but isn’t responding to connection attempts
Following are some common scenarios that are the reason for triggering the occurrence of this error:
1] Install all Windows Updates
Start by installing all the Windows updates associated with Windows. To install all the pending Windows updates, follow the steps below:
- Open the ‘Run’ dialogue box
- Type ‘ms-settings:Windowsupdate’ and press Enter.
- This will open ‘Windows update’ window
- Next, click on the ‘Settings’ button present on the left side of the window
- The screen will check for pending updates. If there are any pending updates, the screen will prompt instructions. Follow all the instructions closely to install pending Windows updates.
- Once all the pending Windows updates are installed, restart your computer and see if the error has been resolved.
2] The computer is not discoverable by the network:
While attempting to file or print the sharing resource, if may be observed that the online connection did not stop suddenly. It is possible that one of the computers on the locally shared network is not discoverable.
Follow these instructions to ensure that all the devices in the local network are discoverable:
- On the home screen, press the Windows button + R button to open the ‘Run’ dialogue box. You can also find this option under the start menu by pressing the Windows button present on the screen.
- In the ‘Run’ dialogue box, type ‘ms-settings:network-Ethernet’ (for Ethernet connections) and tap on the Enter button to open Ethernet settings. For Wi-Fi connections, type ‘ms-settings:network-wifi’ to open the Wi-Fi settings dialogue box.
- In the Ethernet settings tab, right-click on the name of the adapter that you want to set discoverable. This step is the same for the Wi-Fi network.
- Right-clicking on the adapter name will open the Network Profile of the adapter.
- Now set the profile to ‘Private’ this will make your PC discoverable and will enable file and print sharing.
- Lastly, repeat all the above instructions on every computer connected to your local network and see whether the error of File and Print sharing resource is online but isn’t responding to connection attempts has been resolved or not.
If you still face the same error message, try out the next solution.
3] Windows Firewall or Security Software’s blocking the local area connection:
Many firewall software and VPNs manage various incoming or outgoing connections to different IP connections. The firewall may sometimes block the connection. If this is the case, then the best solution is to make the firewall allow the blocked local area connection. For this, you need to add Exceptions in the list manager of the firewall and security software.
4] Disable or Uninstall Firewall
If the error, File and Print sharing resource is online but isn’t responding to connection attempts, persists then you may need to disable or uninstall the firewall altogether.
This post will show you how to disable the Windows Firewall.
You will have to follow the specific instructions for your 3rd-party-firewall and temporarily disable it and see if it helps. Uninstalling the 3rd-software can be done by the following steps:
- Open the Run dialogue box.
- Type appwiz.cpl and hit the Enter button. This will open the Programs and Features window present under the Control Panel.
- Locate the firewall software and click on the ‘Uninstall’ button
- The screen shall then prompt firewall removal instructions and follow them closely to remove the unwanted firewall software.
Sometimes, the high-security settings of Windows Protection might get overprotective and block the local network connection. If the issue is raised due to overprotective antivirus software, then temporarily lowering the security settings or uninstalling the software can be the solution to get around this error.
5] Windows forgetting login credentials:
Windows forgetting your system’s login credentials is one of the most common issues faced by Windows users. To resolve this error permanently, you need to enter the system’s login credentials manually. To enter the credentials manually, follow the steps below:
- Open the control panel or type ‘control’ in ‘Run’ dialogue box
- In the control panel, search and click on ‘Credential Manager’ option.
- Next, click on ‘Add Windows Credentials’ option
- A screen will prompt you to enter the address, username, and password of the machine. Add this information of every machine in the network and click on OK.
- Once you have entered all the information about all the machines, it is time to restart your computer. Upon restarting the shared files should be visible.
6] Check Background Services:
For a connection to be established successfully, it may need one or more services to be running without interruption in the background. If all the required background services are running in sync, then it will resolve the error of File and Print sharing resource is online but isn’t responding to connection attempts.
Ensure whether all these required services are running or not:
- DNS Client
- Function Discovery Provider Host
- Function Discovery Resource Publication
- HomeGroup Provider
- HomeGroup Listener
- Peer Networking Grouping
- SSDP Discovery
- UPnP Device Host.
To confirm, do the following-
- Open the ‘Run’ dialogue box and type ‘services.msc’.
- It opens the ‘Windows Services’ screen. A list of various services will appear; ensure that each of these services is running.
- Right-clicking on each service will help you understand whether it is running or not.
Once you have performed all the above steps, run the ‘Network Diagnostics Tool’ to check if the error has been resolved.
Thus, above are the various means and ways to fix the file and print sharing error. Performing the above instructions will help you resolve the File, and Print sharing resource is online but isn’t responding to connection attempts error.