If you see Error code: PIN-INAPP-INVALIDPIN-8 when trying to activate Office on your Windows 11/10 PC, then this post suggests some solutions to fix the issue. This error can occur if the user has entered an incorrect activation key. Usually, it’s an issue with Office subscription status. Fortunately, you can follow some simple steps to fix this error.
Why can’t I activate my Office account?
Microsoft Office is a collection of applications with a unique purpose and requirement. Some of these include Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. Recently, users have been facing some trouble while activating their Office accounts. Here are a few possible reasons this error might occur while trying to activate Office:
- Invalid Activation Key
- Install limit Reached
- Expired Office Subscription
Fix Error code PIN-INAPP-INVALIDPIN-8 when trying to activate Office
You can fix the Error code: PIN-INAPP-INVALIDPIN-8 when trying to activate Office by following these suggestions:
- Uninstall Multiple Copies of Office from your Device
- Repair Office
- Check the Office subscription status
- Activate Office in Clean Boot State
- Run Office as an Administrator
- Use Support and Recovery Assistant
- Reinstall Office
Now let us see these in detail.
1] Uninstall Multiple Copies of Office from your Device
Before getting started with different troubleshooting methods, check if your device has multiple versions of Office installed. If your device has multiple office versions installed, it could be the reason why this error code occurs. Uninstall these and check if the error code PIN-INAPP-INVALIDPIN-8 gets fixed.
2] Repair Office
The error may likely lie within the app’s core files. To fix this, repair Microsoft Office. Here’s how you can do it:
- Press the Windows key + I to open Settings.
- Navigate to Apps > Installed Apps > Office.
- Scroll down and click on Repair.
3] Check the Office subscription status
If you have a subscription to Office 365, make sure it is still active. If not, renew your subscription and try again. Here is how you can do it:
- Close all Office apps on your Windows device.
- Navigate to your Microsoft Account page.
- If asked to sign in, enter your account credentials.
- Navigate to Services & subscriptions and check the Office’s subscription status.
4] Activate Office in Clean Boot State
Third-party applications installed on your device can be responsible why the error code PIN-INAPP-INVALIDPIN-8 occurs while activating Office. Perform a Clean Boot of your PC to restrict all third-party applications. Here’s how you can perform a clean boot:
- Click on Start, search for System Configuration and open it.
- Navigate to the General tab and check the Selective Startup option and the Load System Services Option under it.
- Then navigate to the Services tab and check the option Hide all Microsoft services.
- Click on Disable all at the bottom right corner and hit Apply, then Ok to save changes.
If the error doesn’t appear in the Clean Boot State, you may need to manually enable one process after another and see who the culprit is. Once you’ve identified it, disable or uninstall the software.
5] Run Office as administrator
Running Office as an administrator ensures it doesn’t crash due to a lack of permissions. Here’s how to do it:
- Click on Start and search for Office.
- Right-click on Office and select Run as Administrator.
6] Use Support and Recovery Assistant
Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant runs tests to determine what’s wrong and offers solutions for the identified problem. It can fix errors related to Office, Office 365, Outlook, and Windows problems. Here is how you can use Support and Recovery Assistant:
- Download and Install Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant.
- Once the Support and Recovery Assistant opens, agree to accept the Microsoft Services Agreement and select Yes to allow the app to make changes to your device.
- Now follow the instructions on the screen to troubleshoot your Office activation issue. The Assistant will resolve the issue.
7] Reinstall Office
If none of these steps can help you, consider reinstalling Office. This has been known to help most users get over this error.
Why is my Microsoft Office product key not working?
Microsoft Office is a collection of applications with a unique purpose and requirement. Some of these include Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. Recently, users have been facing some trouble while activating their Office accounts. Some reasons this may occur are an invalid activation key, install limit reached, expired Office subscription, etc.
How do I fix Excel product activation failed?
Check if your device has multiple versions of Office installed. If your device has multiple office versions installed, it could be why the Microsoft Office product key may not work.