If you turn on the Remember my apps setting on your Windows 11 device, Windows will remember the apps that you have installed on your device so that you can restore them from the Microsoft Store on other Windows 11 devices. An option to turn on or off the Remember my apps is available on the Windows backup page in Windows 11 Settings. In this article, we will see how to enable and disable Remember my apps in Windows 11.
How to enable and disable Remember my apps in Windows 11
The following steps will guide you on how to enable and disable Remember my apps in Windows 11. Do note that the Remember my apps setting is not available for Work or school accounts. Therefore, if you have signed in to Windows 11 with a Work or school account, you will not be able to turn it on or off. You have to sign in to Windows 11 with your Microsoft account.
- Right-click on Start and select Settings. Alternatively, you can also press the Win + I keys to launch the Settings app.
- Select the Accounts category from the left pane.
- Now, scroll down and click on the Windows backup tab.
- Toggle the button next to the Remember my apps tab to turn this setting on or off.
After enabling this setting, you will be able to restore all your apps on multiple Windows 11 devices that you have signed in to with the same Microsoft account.
On the Windows backup page, you will see two more settings in addition to the Remember my apps. Let’s see what these settings are:
- OneDrive folder syncing: You can turn on OneDrive folder syncing if you want to backup your files and folders from your Desktop, Documents, and Pictures folders to OneDrive. This setting is not available for the users who are signed in to Windows 11 devices with their Work or school accounts.
- Remember my preferences: This setting lets you backup your preferences, such as language, passwords, etc., on other Windows 11 devices with the same Microsoft account. Apart from that Windows will also sync some of your settings, like File Explorer settings, printers and mouse options, notifications preferences, etc., on another Windows 11 device. The Remember my preferences setting remains unavailable for the users with Work or school accounts until it is allowed by their organizations.
You may find the Remember my apps setting greyed out on your Windows 11 PC. In such a case, first, check if you are signed in to Windows 11 with a local account or Microsoft account. The users with local accounts can’t turn on the Remember my apps and preferences setting on Windows 11. To fix this, follow the steps below:
- Launch Windows 11 Settings.
- Go to “Accounts > Your info.”
- Click on the Sign in with a Microsoft account instead link.
- Enter your Microsoft account username and password.
While signing in to Windows 11 with your Microsoft account, you may receive the following message:
The above message appears when the account that you are using to sign in to Windows 11 is already added to your device. In such a case, first, delete that account from your Windows 11 device and then try again.
How do I enable background apps in Windows 11?
You can enable and disable any background app in Windows 11 from Settings. The steps to enable background apps in Windows 11 are as follows:
- Open Windows 11 Settings.
- Go to “Apps > Apps & features.”
- Locate the app that you want to run in the background. Once you find it, click on the three vertical dots next to it and select Advanced Options.
- Now, select Always in the Background apps permissions drop-down.
What is S mode in Windows 11?
Windows 11 S mode is designed to provide the users with an increased security experience. After enabling the S mode, Windows 11 will allow you to install the apps only from Microsoft Store and you will browse the internet only by using the Microsoft Edge browser.
Hope this helps.
Read next: User Accounts Settings in Windows 11.