Are you unable to send messages on Discord? This guide will help you if you cannot send text messages to your friends on Discord. Discord is a popular VoIP application for millions of gamers and non-gamers. It has eased the communication between gaming enthusiasts and people on the same page. Now, what if Discord fails to send your messages to other users? It can be frustrating especially if you need to send some urgent messages. A lot of users have complained of facing a similar issue where their messages failed to deliver.
If you are one of those who are unable to send messages on Discord, you have landed on the correct page. Here, we are going to discuss various methods that will enable you to fix the issue of not being able to send messages on Discord. Let us check them out.
Why can’t I message my friend on Discord?
If you are unable to send messages to your friend on Discord, there can be two main reasons behind this issue. Here are the reasons:
- This problem can be a result of server outages or faults at Discord’s end. In case the server is down for maintenance or it is facing some service issues, it may prevent you from sending messages on Discord. You will just have to wait for the issue to resolve in this scenario.
- You might be unable to send messages to friends on Discord if there are some internet connection problems on your PC. It might be the case that your internet is unstable. Other than that, router cache or DNS settings can also be at fault.
In any scenario, you can fix the issue by using the fixes we have mentioned for you. Go ahead and apply the fix that suits your case.
Discord Failed to send message
Here are the methods you can try if you are unable to send messages on Discord:
- Restart Discord.
- Check server status of Discord.
- Change Internet Connection.
- Power cycle your networking device.
- Use Google DNS Server.
- Try Discord on some other platform.
Let us discuss the above methods in detail now!
1] Restart Discord
First of all, you should try restarting the Discord app to fix this issue. If there is some temporary glitch in the app, a simple restart should fix the problem. For that, simply close your Discord application completely. You can open the Task Manager and then from the Processes tab, select Discord tasks and processes and close them all one by one. After that, relaunch the Discord app and see if you are able to send messages to your friends.
If this doesn’t fix your problem, try the next solution from this guide.
2] Check server status of Discord
You also need to make sure that there is no server outage at the end of Discord. If there is a server outage or Discord servers are down for maintenance, it can cause issues like being unable to send messages. So, check the server status of Discord, and if it is down, you will have to wait until the server is up again and working.
You can find out the status of Discord servers using free server-status detector websites. Other than that, you can get the latest updates regarding server status on the official social media accounts of Discord.
If there is no issue from Discord’s end, there might be some other reason that is preventing you from sending messages on Discord. So, to fix it up, try the next method.
3] Change Internet Connection
If you tried the above methods and the problem is not fixed, your internet connection is likely to be the main culprit. It might be preventing you from sending messages or your current internet connection might be unstable. So, in that case, you can try switching to a different internet connection and see if the problem is fixed.
You also try troubleshooting network and internet problems on your PC if there are any.
4] Power cycle your networking device
This issue might be caused due to some other connectivity issue or your router cache. In that case, performing a power cycle on your networking device can fix it up. It will reset your networking device and re-establish a fresh connection to your ISP. So do that and hopefully, it will fix the problem.
You can power cycle your networking device using the below steps:
- First, shut down your PC and unplug it.
- Next, turn off your modem and router.
- When the devices are turned off, unplug their power cables.
- Now, wait for about 25-30 seconds to let the devices switch off completely.
- After that, plug in your networking devices back and start them.
- Then, restart your computer and connect to the internet.
- Finally, launch the Discord app and try sending the messages and see if the issue is fixed.
5] Use Google DNS Server
Specific DNS settings may prevent your computer from establishing a connection with Discord and that might be causing the problem. You can reconfigure DNS settings on your PC and check if the issue is fixed. Try using Google DNS server by following the below steps:
- First, open the Run dialog box using Windows + R hotkey.
- Now, type ncpa.cpl in the Open box and press Enter.
- Next, in the Network Connections window, select and right-click on your active internet connection.
- After that, select the Properties option from the context menu.
- In the WiFi Properties window, select the Internet Protocol Version 4(IPV4) option from the General tab and click on the Properties button.
- Then, enable the Use the Following DNS Server Addresses option and type 18.104.22.168 in the “Preferred DNS Server” option and 22.214.171.124 in the “Alternate DNS Server” field.
- Finally, press the OK button to save the new DNS server settings.
Now, restart Discord and check if you are now able to send text messages to your friends.
6] Try Discord on some other platform
Another thing you can try is to use Discord on some other platform and see if the messages can be sent now. The PC users can try Discord on its web client to chat with other people. This has been an effective fix for many and might just work for you as well.
Why are my Discord messages failing to send?
If there are some issues with the Discord servers, you won’t be able to send messages. As a result, you can find the aforementioned error while sending messages. Apart from that, if you have internet connection issues, the same problem may arise on your computer. You can go through the aforementioned tips to get rid of this issue.
How do I fix Discord messages failed to load?
The first thing you need to check is the Discord server status. As server issues could cause this problem, you need to verify the status of your server first. Then, you can switch your text channel manually, force restart your Discord app, etc. If you use a VPN or proxy, it is suggested to disable them temporarily to find out if it is causing the issue or not.
Hope this helps!
Now read: Fix Discord Voice Connection errors.