In today’s post, we will attempt to provide the possible solutions to the issue Dell BIOS Update not installing, which triggers the “Your security settings could not be detected” error message in Windows 10.
Dell BIOS Update not installing
It’s noteworthy that this issue is prevalent in several devices that have been known to experience the issues when updating or installing the BIOS.
Here’s a list of these devices, and their affected BIOS versions:
|Dell Model||BIOS version|
Your security settings could not be detected
You might the error message below when you try updating or installing the BIOS on your Windows 10 computer
Your security settings could not be detected. Try restarting your system and running the update again.
If you’re experiencing this issue, try these our recommended solution:
- Perform your BIOS update directly from manufacturer website
- Suspend BitLocker before performing the BIOS update
Now, let’s have a detailed look at these solutions provided.
1] Perform your BIOS update directly from manufacturer website
Here, to be able to perform the procedure, you’ll need the following:
- Blank USB thumb drive
Other options include HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool, MSI DOS Tool, UNetbootin, etc
- Updated BIOS + update utility
- Working Dell PC
- Internet Connection to download BIOS update from manufacturer’s company website
Once you have these, you can now proceed as follows:
A] Check your current BIOS version
- Press Windows + R to invoke the Run dialog box.
- Type in msinfo32 and press Enter.
- On the right pane, make a note of the version from the BIOS Version/Date value column.
B] Update your BIOS
- Download the appropriate version from the motherboard manufacturer’s website.
- Copy the update on the USB flash drive, and plug it in the PC.
- Restart the PC, and open the BIOS when it boots.
- Go to the BIOS Update tab, select your USB flash drive as the source.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to update the BIOS
- Restart your PC.
2] Suspend BitLocker before performing the BIOS update
To suspend BitLocker do the following:
- Open Control Panel.
- Go to System and Security.
- Select BitLocker Drive Encryption.
- Select Suspend Protection.
- Now you can try running the BIOS update.
Once the update is complete and the PC has rebooted, you can resume BitLocker protection again.
That’s it, folks! This solution should work for the Dell BIOS update error.