In this post, we will help you with how to close all opened browser tabs and windows at once in Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and Mozilla Firefox browsers in Windows 10. Instead of closing one window at a time which might be frustrating sometimes, you can simply close all the browser windows in one shot. This is helpful for those who regularly work with so many browser tabs and windows.
Thankfully, all these browsers have built-in features to do so. We have also covered a separate add-on or extension for each browser to close browser windows. While the native feature is good enough, add-ons bring more options such as close all tabs of all windows and open a new tab page, close all windows except the active one, etc. These options work for incognito or private windows too.
Let’s check how to do this in each browser separately.
Close all opened browser tabs at once in Chrome
- Using Exit feature
- By hotkey
- Using Close All Tabs Chrome extension.
1] Using Exit feature
This is a very simple way to close the Chrome browser completely. Here are the steps:
- Open Chrome browser
- Click on Customize and control icon (three vertical dots) available on the top right corner
- Use the Exit option.
This will immediately close all the windows of Google Chrome.
2] Using Hotkey
This option uses the above option to close browser windows but you can do that using hotkey. Simply press Alt+F hotkey and it will open Customize and control Google Chrome menu. After that, use the X key, and the Chrome browser will be closed.
3] Using Close All Tabs Chrome extension
This useful Chrome extension can help you close Chrome windows and tabs in different ways:
- You can close all tabs and windows and open a specified webpage
- Close all tabs and windows and open a new tab page
- Select the option to close all tabs and background windows and keep the currently active tab in the foreground window
- Close all background windows
- Close all tabs only in the current window and open a new tab.
Thus, pretty good options are provided by this extension. You can also include/exclude pinned tabs for the above actions.
Use this link to open the homepage of this Close All Tabs Chrome extension and install it. After installation, the very first thing you should do is access the Options page of this extension. For this, right-click on its icon available in the Extensions toolbar and use Options. When the page is opened, select an action of your choice and save options.
Now whenever you have to close Chrome tabs and windows, just click on the extension icon, and it will trigger the action set by you.
Close all opened tabs in Firefox browser at once
- Using Exit option
- Using Browser Window Closer add-on.
1] Using Exit option
Here are the steps:
- Launch Firefox browser
- Click on the Open menu icon (hamburger icon) present on the top right corner of Firefox
- Click on the Exit option.
Alternatively, you can also use Ctrl+Shift+Q hotkey. This will close the Firefox browser completely including the pinned tabs in all Firefox windows.
2] Using Browser Window Closer add-on
If you prefer using some add-on to close Firefox windows together, then the Browser Window Closer add-on can be a good choice. This add-on closes all the background windows in one click and only the active tab of the foreground window remains open. It also shows the number of opened tabs in a window on its add-on icon.
Here is the link to this add-on’s homepage. Open it and install this add-on. Its icon will appear on the top right part of the Firefox browser. Now whenever you want to close all background windows and all tabs of the active window excluding the current tab, then simply click on the add-on icon. It will do its work.
Close all opened tabs in Microsoft Edge at once
- Using built-in feature
- Using Close & Clean Microsoft Edge add-on.
1] Using built-in feature
Follow these steps:
- Launch Microsoft Edge browser
- Open Settings and more section by clicking on the three horizontal dots available on the top-right corner of the Edge browser. You can also use Alt+F hotkey for the same
- Click on Close Microsoft Edge option.
2] Using Close & Clean Microsoft Edge add-on
This Close & Clean add-on for Edge browser brings multiple ways to close Microsoft Edge tabs and windows. You can use it to:
- Close all windows
- Keep pinned tabs of all windows, let other windows remain open with pinned tabs or merge those tabs in a single window, and close all other windows
- Close windows as well as empty the cache, clear browsing history, cache, cookies, clear download history, local storage data, etc., for the past hour, past week, the past 24 hours, etc.
This link will open its homepage. Install the add-on and you can see its icon next to the address bar. Now click on the add-on icon and a new tab will open. There you can set the above-mentioned settings.
Now for the next time, whenever you have to close Edge browser windows and perform other actions, just give a click on the add-on icon. When the settings window is opened, adjust options as per your needs.
If you want to change the settings of this add-on later, you can right-click on the add-on icon, and use Extension options.
Hope these options will be helpful.