Symantec has introduced a new service called Norton Identity Safe Service, which is free to download till 1st October 2012. All those, who download and install this tool will be able to use the service free of charge for ever. Why? Probably because the service might make paid after that date.
Basically, Norton Identity Safe is a free password manager that stores your username and passwords in the cloud, allowing you to access it across multiple browsers and devices. This free cloud-enabled service will allow you to easily and securely store and synchronize logins, passwords, credit cards, and other Web form information – thereby keeping your identities secure.
I downloaded and installed the application. My first impression is that the tool is quite easy to install and even easier to use. Once you download and run the installer, you will be asked to ‘Agree and Install’. I did go through the User Licenses Agreement and there doesn’t seem anything which you, as a user may want to object to. There are no other hidden installs.
Once the installation is over, you will be required to set up a Norton Account and also create a Master Password to secure your passwords vault.
Norton Identity Safe includes quite a few features and include:
- Simplified password management – Eliminates the hassle of remembering multiple logins and passwords, as users only need to remember one master password for quick, secure access to their favorite sites.
- Streamlined user experience – Shows users their logins with thumbnail images, allowing them to log in to a desired site by clicking on the image, or for mobile and tablet users, by simply touching the screen.
- Sharing on social sites – Allows users to safely share online content by sending URLs through email and social networking plugins, directly from Norton Identity Safe beta.
- Automatic login synchronization across devices – Enables users to store a password on one device and easily log in from another device, wherever they go.
- Safe Search – Ensures users can search with confidence and view site ratings right in the search results, enabling users to see whether a website is safe before visiting it.
- Norton Safe Web protection – helps consumers keep their online credentials from being compromised by unsafe websites.
You will be able to access all its settings and your Password Vault too from here.
The toolbar goes a step further and advises you on the ratings of the websites. So if you happen to see a suspicious website in the search results, you will warned accordingly.
The tool is quite easy to use, and if you need to remember a lot of passwords – which you tend to forget, using it might be a good idea. The only reservation one could have is that all your credentials will be stored in the cloud – and what guarantees does one have that the servers will never be hacked! Maybe you are already using a desktop password manager or maybe an online password manager - but in any case Norton Identity Safe looks work checking out.
Download it by October 1, 2012 and enjoy it FREE of charge forever. After that, it may go the paid way. Head over to Norton if you plan to use this service – and yes, please do share your experiences too, about this tool.
If you want to read about some other free Norton tools, check these posts:
- Remove persistent malware and crimeware with freeware Norton Power Eraser
- Can we really trust Norton PC Checkup Tool !?