Are you looking for an application that can replace Windows Media Center but support all the advanced Media Center functions at the same time? If yes, Media Portal is one such free and open source Media Center replacement program that turns your PC / TV into a very advanced Media Center.
The application allows you to easily browse through its menus with the mouse or use keyboard shortcuts to instantly access some of the features.
The Media Portal is divided into four main functions:
- My Music - Some advanced features gives easy access to all of your audio files and allow them to be played directly with Media Portal.
- My Pictures - Here, with just one click of your mouse you can access all images stored in our computer, capture screens, digital photos, scanned images and any other similar files. All the pictures are displayed like a slide show.
- My Videos - In this section of the program you can play and create videos listed in your videos category. It’s possible to play videos in HD (High Definition) too.
- My Weather - This section gives you the ability to recompile real-time information about the weather in our city or region from the user’s window.
Media Portal has been designed especially for Microsoft Windows. You can play files that play in Windows. The top notch performance and good playback quality make it the choice of many media enthusiasts. The Media Center replacement is already available in 30 languages, with ongoing additions. Standard menu, context menu, layouts and views make it easy to use.
Media Portal Installation:
The installer tool downloads all the software required for easy installation and upgrades. You can save all the downloaded files to deploy on client PCs or other installations
Media Portal features:
- Watch Live TV or schedule and record
- Play videos, movies and DVDs
- Browse EPG and upcoming programs
- Listen to music and radio
- Stream media, radio, TV to any connected HTPC/PC connected to your network
- View pictures or create slideshows
- Browse all your movies
- Check weather, news, or information on the web and even play games
You can change the look and feel of Media Portal via its Skins Gallery. The gallery has a highly skinable interface to users who have interest in personalizing their media center. For the latest releases you can check Downloads and Skin Forums. Besides that, Media Portal also supports lots of other third-party plugins to increase the media portal functionality like Web Browser, Outlook software, Skype, etc. All these plugins can be downloaded from the Media Portal Plug-ins Page.
You can get all these from its home page.