Using Classic Shell, you can get the Windows Classic Start Menu & Windows Explorer toolbar back in their Windows 7.
Get old classic start menu in Windows 7
Classic Shell has now been updated to give you many more classic explorer features to your Windows 7 explorer.
Classic Shell now also adds some missing features to Windows 7 and Vista like a classic start menu, a toolbar for Windows Explorer, shows Titlebar text & icon, adds the Up button, etc
- Classic Start Menu is a clone of the start menu from Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Vista, that is missing from Windows 7. It has a variety of advanced features:
- Drag and drop to let you organize your applications
- Options to show Favorites, expand Control Panel, etc
- Shows recently used documents.
- Does not disable the original start menu in Windows. You can access it by Shift+Click on the start button
- Right-click on an item in the menu to delete, rename, sort, or perform other tasks
- Available for 32 and 64-bit operating systems
- Has support for skins, including additional 3rd party skins.
- Fully customizable in both looks and functionality
- Support for Microsoft’s Active Accessibility
Classic Explorer is a plugin for Windows Explorer that:
- Adds a toolbar to Explorer for some common operations (Go to parent folder, Cut, Copy, Paste, Delete, Properties, Email). More buttons can be added manually
- Replaces the copy UI in Vista and Windows 7 with the more user-friendly “classic” version similar to Windows XP
- Handles Alt+Enter in the folder panel of Windows Explorer and shows the properties of the selected folder
- Has options for customizing the folder panel to look more like the Windows XP version or to not fade the expand buttons
- Can show the free disk space and the total size of the selected files in the status bar
- Can disable the breadcrumbs in the address bar
- Can display an icon overlay for the shared folders in Windows 7
The toolbar for Windows Explorer will not show up automatically after installation. You have to open a new Windows Explorer window, turn on the menu in Explorer, Go to Tools, Folder Options, the View tab, and make sure “Always show menus” is checked. Right click on the menu bar and select “Classic Explorer Bar” to show the toolbar.
Visit Classic Shell home page.
Go here if you are looking for more Windows explorer replacement free software.