Usually, one shouldn’t have any problem downloading their purchased games on Xbox. Like Windows Store, games and other downloadable content are installed automatically on Xbox if your gaming console is set to Instant-on mode. However, Xbox might not let you download purchased games in some instances. This post will share solutions to help you fix if Xbox can’t install purchased games.
Why does Cant install purchased Games error occur on Xbox?
The reason can be many. Some prominent and known reasons include temporary server issues, authentication problems, pending updates, and downloads getting stuck. That said, before we go ahead, make sure you have already done rebooting Xbox, at least once, and tried to download the game.
Xbox Cant install purchased Games
Your gaming console should automatically install your purchased games. But in some instances, it might not do so, and you must install them manually. However, even if that doesn’t work, here are some methods to try out:
- Check if the game or add-on is listed under Library or Microsoft Store
- Check Manage game and add-ons
- Troubleshooting Game and Add-ons issue
- Check Microsoft Billing and Contact Support
Now let’s talk about these methods one by one below:
1] Check if the game or add-on is listed under Library or Microsoft Store
After purchasing any game or other game content, it should appear in your Library or Store, and it will get automatically installed. So make sure that the game is in your Library or Microsoft Store. To check this, follow the below steps:
- Press the Xbox button from the controller and navigate to My games & apps > See All.
- Now Under Full Library, go to Owned games and look for the game you wish to download. (Additionally, you can use the filter button to select Ready to install to search for games that are not yet installed on your console.)
- You will see the download icon on the game title if it isn’t yet installed on your console. You can click on it to start downloading the game.
In case you don’t see your games or add-ons, here is what you can do:
- Press the Xbox button.
- Next highlight but don’t select My games & apps.
- Press the Menu button from your controller and select Refresh to check for your item.
If you still don’t find your games or add-ons, a quick reboot of the console would help.
You might want to look at your download settings if you still don’t see your games or add-ons installed. For this, follow the below steps:
- Press the Xbox button and navigate to Profile & system > Settings > System > Updates.
- Over here, ensure that Keep my games & apps up to date is enabled.
- Then go to your games Library and see if you see your game, and try downloading it.
Related: Fix Xbox app slow download speed
2] Check the Manage game and add-ons section
- Press the Xbox button and, navigate to My games & apps, highlight a game (but don’t select it).
- Next, press the Menu button on your controller and select Manage game and add-ons.
- Select the game in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- Next, choose to manage installation on [drive name]. This will show a list of items, including the base game and any available add-ons or game features.
- Next, select the tick-box for each item you wish to install or untick to uninstall.
- Select Save changes.
3] Troubleshooting Game and Add-ons issue
If you don’t see it in your library after purchasing a game, you can sign out and sign in again to your Xbox account. This issue mostly happens when you purchase games using in-game currency like V-Bucks or Fifa points.
To troubleshoot this, follow the below steps:
- Press the Xbox button and go to your game library.
- Next, highlight a game but don’t select it and press the Menu button.
- Select Quit, and then relaunch the game. After launching the game, check your in-game wallet.
- Sign out of your Xbox account from the console, sign in the back, and then follow the above steps again.
4] Check Microsoft Billing and Contact Support
If you cannot install your purchased games after all the above methods, the last resort would be to contact Microsoft Billing and Contact support. However, I recommend waiting for at least 24 hours after you have done the above.
Even after waiting for a day, if you don’t see anything happen, contact Xbox customer support for games published by Microsoft. Alternatively, you can contact the game publishers for games that Microsoft does not publish.
In the end, Xbox can’t install purchased games is a temporary issue. A few basic troubleshooting would help you fix the issue. You can contact Xbox support for further help if it isn’t fixed. In case you need additional help, you can comment below.
Can you reinstall purchased games on Xbox one?
You can permanently delete game content from your hard drive to make space for new titles. Anything you have purchased and deleted from your hard drive can be redownloaded anytime.
Can I download digital games if I have a physical disc?
Yes, you can download the games, but you need to keep the disc inside the DVD player. For now, there is no way to convert those games to digitally purchased games. If you want to run the game without the disc, then you need to repurchase the game from the Store.